Dog getting grumpy when moving it of the sofa

(6 Posts)
AvocadoLemon Wed 12-Oct-16 21:16:55

Hi does anyone else have a similar is due?

Usually my dog is a dream and we have very little worries about him and his behaviour however occasionally the sneaky sod sofa hugs your seat when you get up and leave it for the smallest amount of time and then point blank refuses to move and gives a warning growl. We don't let him win and he is moved very promptly at this point.

Yes I know bad habit etc allowing him to sleep on the sofa.

Any advice? Please don't flame me for bad habits.

counterpoint Wed 12-Oct-16 21:24:26

Same here. Ours gets very territorial about his spot. I've chosen to ignore him (about a month or so now) and walk away when he growls. I think it's subsiding now as he prefers my company to being ignored.

acornsandnuts Wed 12-Oct-16 21:37:02

Pop a loose training lead on him for a few days. When you want him off a gentle tug will get him moving with a off/down command. Worked when ours was a grump.

JeVoudrais Thu 13-Oct-16 15:02:21

I was going to suggest the lead too. If they don't get off when asked then they aren't allowed on here. My golden was like this when he was younger but did learn.

neonrainbow Thu 13-Oct-16 15:05:28

How are you moving him? Physically pushing him? Id keep a little stash of treats in the living room then if you need him to move then ask him, treat immediately when he gets down. A bit of clicker training would be useful here.

Hoppinggreen Thu 13-Oct-16 15:05:55

This is why my Goldie isn't allowed on the sofa.
His trainer said that there are just some dogs that you can't allow on the sofa and he's one - plus he's hairy and muddy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now