Fleas on dog? Tell me your miracle treatments please.

(13 Posts)
ChippyDucks Tue 11-Oct-16 10:52:06

Ddog has been scratching a bit more for the last day or so. Dug out the flea comb and the tiniest little bit of black (flea excrement?) was there.
I've never had to encounter this before so before I go rushing out to buy treatments please tell me your tried and tested methods!
Thanks folks.

ppeatfruit Tue 11-Oct-16 10:56:50

Well we've got cats and we used to use Frontline, but it's not so effective any more, Advantage is newer and better..

You have to spray where he sleeps as well. I use a pyrethrum spray because it 's less toxic than the normal Raid one.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Tue 11-Oct-16 11:00:35

Advantage - you have to get it from the vet though. It's drops to put on the neck. Do it before you get infested, once the house is infested, it's a nightmare.

notangelinajolie Tue 11-Oct-16 11:07:04

Our cat goes for an injection at the vets every September. They recommend it is done every six months but we've found once a year is enough. Fleas will start appearing at this time of the year as they like central heating.

notangelinajolie Tue 11-Oct-16 11:12:02

Adding that it works .... it wipes out the lot! We also buy a carpet spray ( also from the vet). Bit if a double whammy and the vet thinks we are being OTT but the fleas don't stand a chance and it really does work. I tried all the powders, pills and drops in the shops and nothing worked.

ChippyDucks Tue 11-Oct-16 11:43:33

Fab. I had a word with my groomer and have ordered a tin of Indorex to treat the carpet and sofa and we're off to the vets this evening. Must get them all before they start multiplying!

ChippyDucks Wed 12-Oct-16 11:01:29

Went to the vets yesterday and we were given Bravecto tablets. Hopefully that, alongside a bath with flea treatment shampoo and the spray above will sort ddog out. There were no live fleas on him though which I found strange??

GoalieMum Wed 12-Oct-16 12:24:06

I would not personally use Bravecto

www.change.org/p/bravecto-flea-tick-treatment-should-be-removed-from-the-market-without-delay

confusedandemployed Wed 12-Oct-16 12:26:45

NexGard sorted DDog out. At over £35 for 3 months supply I'd hardly call it a miracle though...

Littlebeek Wed 12-Oct-16 19:28:54

My rescue dog came to us with fleas which freaked me out as they said she'd been flea'd.
Only place that was open was wilkos so I bought some bob Martin flea treatment for her & some home flea spray and within 2 days they had gone. I still flea comb her everyday to make sure smile

Darklane Fri 14-Oct-16 15:58:31

Hoover like mad & Indorex spray to get rid of them in the house.
I use Frontline if they've got them, I know many say it doesn't work but it's been working fine on my lot. To keep them at bay once they've gone, Neem oil works a treat. Great for the dreaded midges too if you're a plagued northerner near water.

Unlockable Sat 15-Oct-16 11:08:28

Nexgard and bravecto are the same drug. I would go and read about them before deciding to give to your dog.

I won't be giving it to mine. Too new and too much anaecdotal evidence that it's killing dogs. Much more research is needed before I would consider using it

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 16-Oct-16 12:54:57

Stronghold, from the vet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now