Tips for holidaying with dogs

(14 Posts)
curryandrice Fri 07-Oct-16 20:31:09

I've just booked to go away with DDog1 & 2 - we are meeting DD in Yorkshire in a self catering cottage for a few days. It's November so will be cold and wet but we are planning to do a bit of walking, go to the pub and also relax in front of the cottage's open fire. I've owned dogs all my life but have never taken them on holiday before so any tips would be welcome.

insan1tyscartching Fri 07-Oct-16 21:33:17

Look on the internet first and find all the dog friendly pubs and eating places. Take lots of old towels because if your dogs are anything like Eric new places to explore means even more dirt than usual hmm I take a couple of throws as well because Eric doesn't really grasp that he's not allowed on every sofa or bed and so cover them because he'll get up every time my back is turned anyway.

curryandrice Fri 07-Oct-16 21:44:11

Thanks. Ddog2 needs no excuse to find mud but Ddog1 is quite refined and manages to stay clean in the most adverse conditions. Good ideas about the throws I will add them to my list. The nearest pub does food and is dog friendly. I am really looking forward to our trip, it's a five hour trip to get there which will be an adventure in itself.

Scuttlebutter Fri 07-Oct-16 22:50:27

Check location of nearest vet and make sure if your dogs are on any medication, you have enough for holiday and don't run out half way through (voice of experience!).

I'd pack some doggy shampoo in case of emergency bath being needed (the incident of the Dead Seal is a very vivid holiday memory).

You can pre-load your dog onto the DogLost website so if they should ever go missing you can activate your pics/description right away - this may be useful if you are away. I would also check tags and make sure there is a mobile number on them so again if they manage to get lost you can be contacted right away.

It may be worth checking local Council website for details of any dog bans or restrictions (though as we are now into October, most beaches are OK) and info on stray dogs policies (many Councils don't have out of hours service).

Have a lovely time. smile

Hoppinggreen Fri 07-Oct-16 23:17:21

Where re you going?
We find that places popular with walkers are very dog friendly. For example we had a lovely meal in a very naice pub in Ingleton while ddog slept under the table

Bubble2bubble Sat 08-Oct-16 09:05:48

Throws to put over the furniture are essential ( unless your dogs are incredibly well trained! )
I usually put meal sized portions of dog food into freezer bags for each meal, so I don't have to bring a massive bag of food but I know I have enough for the few days.

Sparkletastic Sat 08-Oct-16 09:08:43

I need to know about the dead seal...

Spudlet Sat 08-Oct-16 09:09:13

Take your crate if you use one, takes up space in the car but makes for a cosy familiar den.

Have fun!

Spudlet Sat 08-Oct-16 09:11:22

Dead seals are the smelliest things in the world. Worse than fox poo. Worse than human poo!

My advice is do as I did and immediately leave the country (work trip) after the incident, leaving your dp to scrub the recalcitrant hound repeatedly. With Head and Shoulders because that was all he could find. grin

Bubble2bubble Sat 08-Oct-16 09:41:52

A nice beach with half mile of washed up crabs is also good. The after effects of such a feast on four dogs.....not the best part of the holiday.

BestIsWest Sat 08-Oct-16 09:49:33

Dead seal incident!

I second the throws and towels. We take DDogs crate and bedding.

Use the tripadvisor search function for the area and just put the word 'dog' in. Found this was better for finding dog friendly cafes, pubs and attractions than any of the websites because they weren't very up to date.

UnGoogleable Sat 08-Oct-16 09:50:00

I was about to say 'bring lots of extra towels and throws' but I see that's already been said smile

Research places to stop along the way to break up the drive - there are some motorway service stations that have excellent dog walking areas, and there are some that are crap. I think there's a website which recommends them if you Google it.

Perhaps you could also research local walks, so you're prepared?

Take lots of dog poo bags. I usually carry those disposable floor wipes / antiseptic wipes too, good for quick cleanups in the cottage.

BestIsWest Sat 08-Oct-16 10:07:53

In the last cottage we were in our dog refused to eat his food. We eventually figured out that it was because he was scared by the noise his bowl made when it moved on the slate floor. At home we have a mat under his bowl. It was solved by putting a towel under the bowl. Next time we will take the mat and the crate and the bed and his blankets and all his toys and his shampoo and the kitchen sink

fourpawswhite Sat 08-Oct-16 10:13:02

Agree with everything said here. We only holiday with dogs. Now there are two of them I think I pack more for them. We also bought soft crates off amazon just for holidays. Pop their blankets in although I think now they see hem as holiday dens. Older dog is not in a crate at home but handy as a holding space for muddy dogs whilst you sort the other out. Most dog friendly cottages will not let you leave them unattended. So that does sometimes mean short periods in the car and crates are handy if your dogs are likely to bounce everywhere like mine. Have also used crate in pub for little dog who would otherwise be on my knee.
I also make up each day's food. Additional holiday treats, poo bags in handbag and car. Water bowl for car, bottles of water in car.
We have found that keeping them in normal walk routine works better, even if it does mean I have to get up at five as usual and then go back to bed.
Spare lead and now collar have been added to list. Twice we have been in a beer garden and had naughty puppy chew her way out and take off across the lawnblushlast time I had to fashion a harness out of poo bags and being in the highlands, could not find a pet shop to get a new harness for days. Then older dog broke her collar after becoming over excited at deer. Fun and games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now