Anyone got a Scottish Terrier? Can you tell me about them please :)

(27 Posts)
NickiFury Wed 05-Oct-16 17:36:17

Have googled obviously but would be interested in personal experiences of this breed.

I'm an experienced dog owner - small dogs only though, Jack Russell and miniature schnauzer in the past, had my schnauzer from 8 weeks old until he went at age 15 sad

Many thanks.

Blackfellpony Wed 05-Oct-16 18:03:25

We had one, sadly he was PTS at age 6 due to cancer, apparently this is really common in the breed so I would look into health issues extensively if I was to look for another.

Personality wise we loved him to bits. He was affectionate, very loyal yet was quite happy to sit by himself and play with his toys or to be left. He was quiet, very rarely barked or made any noise at all. I found him hard to train as he was stubborn and house training was difficult. He wasn't particularly active and wasn't bothered about walks.
He needed groomed regularly which was quite expensive but I expect you would be used to that!

I have met a few at work and they have all been quiet but have a reputation for being feisty, independent and snappy. We don't see many though so it's hard to judge. I've met some lovely ones and some equally horrid ones!

We swapped breeds as I couldn't deal with the heartbreak again and I wanted something more active but I still love them!

NickiFury Thu 06-Oct-16 09:46:57

Thank you so much smile

Yes, I have read about the cancer risk sad My last dog had a heart murmur though, which affected him his whole life and is apparently fairly common in his breed. I suppose there is always a risk sadly.

Yes a, definitely used to the grooming thing and it had to done every two months with him as his ears would become painful otherwise. I've read that two or three times a year is enough for an ST?

I'm going to see some puppies this weekend so will see how I feel when I get there. All I know is this is the first time I have felt upbeat since I lost my lovely old boy. smile

SistersOfPercy Thu 06-Oct-16 15:15:01

I'm on Scott #2
My first was Jack who died a few years ago at 9 from liver disease. We are now owned by Murphy who's coming up for 3.

As a breed they are very family loyal, often wary of a stranger. The aren't constant barkers but will happily alert you to any disturbance or noise. They are also incredibly intelligent little dogs, Murph can work all of the dog puzzle toys with ease and can actually tell the difference between the CCTV cameras on the TV and a TV program. He's also finely tuned to the Ice Cream van.

I confess Murph can be quite grumpy. There is no trigger for this, he just takes a dislike to certain strangers. No connection between any of them. For this reason I do tend to muzzle him when out in public as he will grump (just like a 'HARRUMPH' sound) which puts people off.
Jack on the otherhand would be on his back waiting for a bellyrub. No two are the same.

Have a look on facebook at STECS (scottish terrier emergency care scheme), even if you're not thinking of adopting members chat and post photos. Most Scotts on there are passing at ripe old ages reassuringly.

Haircuts are about every 8 weeks. His groomer comes to me and charges me £20. She is a family friend though. In a local groomers we'd pay around £25. Nails he rubs down himself as most Scotts seem to love to do the scrat outside.

His evenings are spent on our knee's depending who is human of chouice for the day. By night he sleeps on the end of DD's bed. He is, like most Scotts, incredibly loving with his family.
I'll leave you with a picture of 'the boss'
smile

AnUtterIdiot Thu 06-Oct-16 15:20:45

We had a little Scottie when I was a kid. Lovely little dog. The only bad things I remember are (a) he had a terrible chronic skin infection that left him half bald and very smelly - we tried everything available at the time but nothing could be done, and (b) he didn't half yap. But he was a fab little dog and we were devastated when he died (old age, he was about 13).

SistersOfPercy Thu 06-Oct-16 15:25:31

Gratuitous Scottie photos.....(sorry!

SistersOfPercy Thu 06-Oct-16 15:26:34

Last ones I promise!

NickiFury Thu 06-Oct-16 15:52:14

grinoh he's gorgeous! I have to say I am very set on getting one. My last dog wasn't typical of a schnauzer I am told, very family oriented, didn't care for strangers at all. Not unpleasant, just completely disinterested in any fuss or getting to know anyone outside the family and we really loved that about him to be honest as he was never bothersome to anyone who didn't want him to be. So those traits would be fine with us.

Will look at that link, thanks so much.

I'm very excited, I will know on Saturday afternoon so will definitely post some photos on here.

missyB1 Thu 06-Oct-16 16:00:34

Nicki I don't know about scotties but just wanted to say we have just got a miniature schnauzer she's 13 weeks. Please tell me it gets easier she's such hard work!! She's suddenly barking at everything including her own reflection (that's been constant today), and she's too friendly to everyone, she jumps up and all over anyone she meets. aaarghhh! I'm scared I'm going to have the worst behaved dog in the neighbourhood. Husband says I'm overreacting grin

SistersOfPercy Thu 06-Oct-16 16:02:03

He is gorgeous, trouble is he knows it the little sod. He's currently comatose on my led grin

I had a westie as well at one point, and though he was a lovely dog I always preferred the Scottie, he was just so full of character.

Forgot to add, training was pretty easy with Murphy, whether I have been lucky I don't know (Jack was simple too), he got the hang of toilet training quite quickly and other little things were easy to teach him like fetching the post from the letterbox.

I have found though that both Scotts put on weight after that little op, though all seem to have large backsides anyway blush

Can't wait to see photos! I'd love another but this one is so incredibly spoiled I think he's probably be jealous.

SistersOfPercy Thu 06-Oct-16 16:02:22

led? LEG!!!

NickiFury Thu 06-Oct-16 16:07:39

grin well she does sound very different from my reserved and quiet boy I have to say but I am sure she will chill out. She's only very tiny isn't she? My boy was a sedate little chap from the outset so it sounds like she probably just has a more outgoing personality. Good thing is though that often those dogs love training and being stimulated in that way. My boy's recall was shocking to be honest, he just did his own thing although it wasn't a problem when out as he always stuck very very close to the family. Is she your first dog? I adore schnauzers of all sizes - my favourite breed - but that's also the reason I want a different breed this time, would find it quite painful to get the same breed right now, I would constantly be comparing them and it wouldn't be fair.

missyB1 Thu 06-Oct-16 16:17:11

Yes she's our first dog so I'm probably a bit anxious about it all really. I've got a trainer and planning on group puppy lessons soon. Yeah she's only a baby at the moment, I'm praying she calms down at some point!

NickiFury Thu 06-Oct-16 16:35:50

She sounds lovely. Any chance of a photo?

missyB1 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:33:48

Ha ha yes when I've worked out how to upload a picture! I'm a real technophobe! grin

missyB1 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:35:22

Ok here she is hope it works I'm guessing what to do!

NickiFury Thu 06-Oct-16 17:39:55

Oh she's a stunner. What a gorgeous little face smile. Making me rethink my ST decision now.....

SistersOfPercy Thu 06-Oct-16 18:30:05

Oh she's gorgeous!!
I was going to buy a min shnau when I ended up with a Westie.
Visited a local breeder only to find it was a puppy farm. Pen full of Shnauzer pups was gorgeous, but the sad, bedraggled, single westie runt in the next pen stole my heart.

I listened to my head, we started to drive home and got about 4 miles before DH and I both said 'WE NEED TO GO BACK!'
He was riddled with worms, his ears never came up and he lived to 14 without an illness in his life. We always called him the duff dog grin

This pic was taken when he was 13. He looked like a pup until the day he died.

missyB1 Thu 06-Oct-16 20:01:02

Oh sisters what a cutie! And 14 what a great age to get to!

powershowerforanhour Fri 07-Oct-16 08:40:29

Scotties- the few I've seen have been nice but suffered from the basic problem of most numerically small breeds- quite inbred and pretty riddled with genetic disease (Addison's, cancer etc). Never saw one that made old bones.

powershowerforanhour Fri 07-Oct-16 08:46:30

pedigreedogsexposed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/scotties-cramping-their-style.html?m=1

OrangesAreTheOnlyFruit Sat 08-Oct-16 00:58:17

Scotties are amazing pets. Just lost mine today. She was nearly 14, really fit and healthy until yesterday afternoon when she took a sudden turn for the worse. I am heartbroken but proud she had such a lovely life for so long. Good luck. x

AndShesGone Sat 08-Oct-16 07:59:44

Oranges flowersflowersflowers

What a lovely long life, you were a great owner

SistersOfPercy Sat 08-Oct-16 10:48:26

Oranges I'm so sorry 😢

AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 08:53:08

Basically the cutest dog ever smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now