Bones

(5 Posts)
phoolani Thu 29-Sep-16 22:43:00

Much like child rearing, dog ownership seems to have got much more complicated since I had my last dog (no sticks, raw feeding, dog psychology etc etc) and I've seen stuff which says dogs shouldn't have bones. Can anybody just confirm whether my dog can in fact have a lovely gnaw on a big lamb bone?

boybabies Fri 30-Sep-16 11:13:02

General guidance is no weight bearing bones - can break teeth.
Also never ever give cooked bones as can splinter and pierce stomach etc.
Raw bones are actively encouraged! Great for teeth, release feel good hormones in dog from chewing and contain all sorts of nutritional goodies.

phoolani Fri 30-Sep-16 12:11:38

Thanks. I'm a bit confused now; by accident, I ordered a tub of treats specially for dogs which contains some lamb bones, and they're definitely cooked? 🤔

insan1tyscartching Fri 30-Sep-16 21:26:28

Eric has a bone or two every week, definitely not cooked and he prefers lamb bones but he has whatever the butcher gives me in essence. The vet always comments on how good his teeth are and a bone guarantees me at least an hour where he isn't up to mischief.

boobyooby Fri 30-Sep-16 21:29:28

Only raw bones allowed! Cooked bones, even ones bought from pet shops have been known to splinter and cause damage, and in the worst cases death!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now