This time tomorrow my girl may be gone...

(5 Posts)
Letustryagain Tue 27-Sep-16 21:01:52

I'm devastated and struggling to hold it together.

My 10 year old girl (Lab) started being sick on Thursday. It continued through the day so I called the vet. They gave antibiotics and took some bloods but it didn't improve so late on Friday I rushed her to the emergency vet. They admitted her and got the blood results from the other vet and it looked to be related to the pancreas. However the main test for pancreas was going to take until yesterday to come back.

In the meantime she was in all weekend but was eating again and much more comfortable so we picked her up on Sunday evening. All seemed well yesterday when she had a check up and the pancreas test came back as positive. She was eating the special prescription food that they had given us and was massively improved so they said they wouldn't need to see her again unless it flared up again. Today she went down hill very fast. Wouldn't eat and was sick (with a lot of bile and nothing else) this afternoon.

I took her back to the vets and she's staying in again. But they said that tomorrow they will do an exploratory op and that if they find the cause of the problem, do I give my permission for them to keep her asleep instead of waking her up after the op if it is something that is going to cause her pain for the rest of her time.

Of course I gave me permission but I'm devastated tonight and just praying for good news. DH took 7 year old DD to see her at the vets tonight (without saying why - just said they were going to visit her in hospital and DD took her one of her own teddies) and DD took her out for a walk in the car park with DH.

DH and I both sobbed when they got back and DD had gone to bed.

She was my first baby. When I danced in the lounge she would jump up and dance with me. She would hit a ball back to me with her nose.

I don't know what I'll do if I lose her.

I don't know why I'm on here telling you all but I just need to get it out. I've got a stinking cold so I'm going to take some night nurse in a minute and hopefully drift off to sleep. I can't bear the thought that she might be spending her last night without us in a cold clinical surgery. My heart is breaking. sad sad sad

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 27-Sep-16 21:43:52

I'm so sorry. It's shit, I know. She is in the best place though if she's to stand any chance. It's just like when a relative is in hospital, it's the best most helpful place. They will do everything they can but they won't let her suffer, of course. She won't know anything about it.

Really, really hope she pulls through. Crossing everything.

Big hugs though. flowers

MitchellMummy Thu 29-Sep-16 11:57:52

So sad for you. I hope it's some consolation when I say that a few times I've had dogs on the brink and they've pulled through. Big hugs and good luck. x

ChairRider4 Thu 29-Sep-16 12:27:11

Any news

Scarlet6 Mon 03-Oct-16 08:21:12

Please do update us ♡

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now