Kooikerhondje and other spaniels

(17 Posts)
WatchS20 Tue 27-Sep-16 13:46:12

Does anyone know much about this breed? I met a Kooikerhondje at a nearby beach and he was utterly lovely.

Also what are Cocker / Springer spaniels like as family pets? I know they are lively (and addable) but can you tell me more about what it's like to live with the

We live rurally, large garden and I'm SAHM. DC are 7 & 9. Thank you.

everythingis Tue 27-Sep-16 13:53:18

Know nothing but the wiki breed description is very positive.
We have a show cocker. He is frankly, an idiot but he's very tolerant of the kids and very hardy

phillipp Tue 27-Sep-16 14:34:01

No idea about the first one.

But I have had a springer, show cocker and now have a working cocker. All fantastic dogs. Great with the kids, easy to train, love a cuddle.

Daft as brushes but great family's dogs. The working cocker and springer need more exercise than the show cocker, but they were ever so slightly more intelligent.

Hoppinggreen Tue 27-Sep-16 17:03:14

Just looked them up.
They are similar to Tollers,which makes sense as both are bred for duck hunting .

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 27-Sep-16 18:22:49

We have a Toller who is utterly lovely and we know a Kooikerhondje who is a lot scattier than my boy, who in turn is much, much fizzier than my sister's springer. The Kooikerhondje's owner says she's been a lot harder to train than he thought but he's been used to labs. They're incredibly rare in this country though - most are imported

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 27-Sep-16 18:26:28

I would thoroughly recommend a Toller as a family pet though - perfect size, gorgeous to look at and really happy-go-lucky characters

everythingis Tue 27-Sep-16 19:37:09

The toller is beautiful.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Tue 27-Sep-16 19:51:16

We have a working cocker with a bit of Springer in her, five generations back to make her legs longer (apparently!). She's been easy to train, as long as you walk her and let her bound for an hour a day, she's pretty chilled. She's super bright and really does understand everything I say (obviously grin), but getting her back in pheasant season can be a trial. I have certain walks that are definitely out of bounds between now and about February..... She's nine now and I love her to bits.

I also have another dog that I wouldn't recommend - rescue German pointer mixed with random hound. Very beautiful, very calm at home, but desperate to chase/eat anything when out so has to stay on the lead.....

WatchS20 Tue 27-Sep-16 20:57:13

thanks really helpful replies! Not and beachy great photos, your ddogs look adorable and mischievous, gorgeous! This thread is making me all gushy, sorry.

I'll look up Toller, great recommendation.

I know this has been done over and over but what are the subtle and not so subtle difference between working cocker and springer spaniels? Springers have always been my absolute favourite dogs but I am a bit cautious because they are supposed to be mad in a loveable way. I just wonder if that would add too much of a buzz to our household. Just coming out the other end of having slightly highly strung small children.... but then it does now sometimes feel a bit too calm at home now the toddler and re-school years are well over...

Hoppinggreen Tue 27-Sep-16 21:15:18

We are lucky enough to doggy sit a Toller occasionally ( although I'm a Goldie girl through and through) . He is lovely.
Much less clumsy and tank like than my Goldie

phillipp Tue 27-Sep-16 21:20:30

Personally I don't think there is that much difference between a working cocker and springer. Apart from a springer being bigger.

I have a very highly strung ds (5) and if anything out cocker has helped him calm down as ds wants to cuddle the dog. So ds tries to be calm.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Wed 28-Sep-16 07:13:27

Size wise there's not much difference either, unless you get a large heavy set working Springer who typically has a large square head.

Our breeder for the working cocker was very helpful, dismissing a couple of the puppies who were very lively as 'farm dogs' smile

Teapot101 Wed 28-Sep-16 12:31:36

We have 3 cockers, 2 show one working. The working cocker is actually more steady than the show spaniels as that is what he is bred for. Their energy levels vary a lot. Show 1 is bloody lazy and always has been. Show 2 and working spaniel have similar energy levels, as long as they get some off lead time they're more than capable of running the energy off. Having 3 I clearly lovely them and am genuinely confused why anyone gets anything else!

MidniteScribbler Sun 02-Oct-16 04:03:55

I love Kooikers. And Tollers.

Also have a look at the Brittany.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Oct-16 07:45:43

Whatever you choose research their health issues. I love tollers, but a significant number of them have serious health issues with their immune system.
Cockers and springers hips and eyes need to be checked in parents.

zizza Tue 04-Oct-16 20:44:36

And a vote here for Welsh Springer Spaniels. Very clingy but amazing dogs - not as mad as working cockers/springers, but still lively, but so affectionate, and a sensible size (we used to have retrievers - we've been converted to WSS)

shanghaismog Wed 05-Oct-16 19:31:53

Love love love my springer 🐶

She's covers at least twice as much ground as friends dogs when we're walking but then happy to chill/sleep/follow me around at home.

Small enough to not be a pain at home and very intelligent. Although not that intelligent as she's currently on crate rest after breaking a leg whilst running around in the woods the other day....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now