Best flea treatment?

(5 Posts)
GrumpyOldHorsewoman Sat 24-Sep-16 16:07:29

I have 2 dogs (litter mates) aged 7 - smooth coated male and semi-rough female. I've never had a problem with fleas with them before, but this morning picked 3 off the bitch, despite the fact that they both had a phial of flea and tick liquid on the back of the neck just 2 weeks ago (supposed to last 3 months). I bathed her thoroughly and she came out clean, but I've just spotted another live one on her. We live rurally and they are quite free-ranging, so we've been lucky to have never had issues (that and the fact that I keep them treated and very clean). I'd like to find something more reliable as I'm a bit disappointed with the very expensive drops they had last time - any recommendations?

Floralnomad Sat 24-Sep-16 16:25:40

We switched to Bravecto earlier this year ,purely because I'd rather give tablets than use spot ons as the Advocate we used to use made the dogs coat greasy . That said I've never had any fleas on him with either treatment .

fuzzyllama Sat 24-Sep-16 19:39:35

We use comfortis tablets for ours. Works very well and no side effects.

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Sat 24-Sep-16 21:41:14

Thank you both. I've always found the drops to work perfectly well until now, so think I'll give tablets a go.

fuzzyllama Sat 24-Sep-16 22:24:26

We used to use frontline spot on, but found it lost its effectiveness also. So far so good with the tablets. I don't know what size your dog is, but ours is a gsd so needs a large tablet and getting the sod to take it is impossible, so I grind it in a pestle and mortar and add it to his food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now