Is anyone up? Dog ate onion

(15 Posts)
LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 21-Sep-16 23:14:41

Just went up to bed, then heard a thump and came down to find dog had pulled the food recycling bin off the counter and helped himself. There was definitely raw onion scraps and skins, and a jar full of pickled onions that were out of date had been scrapped earlier too. I'm just going to pull the bag apart to see if I can get an idea of how much he's eaten but what should I do now? (Obvs will call vet in the am)

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 21-Sep-16 23:26:14

Update: pickled onions safe, they were in another bag. I think he's eaten half a root (you know the bit you chop off and leave), some skins and maybe a couple of tiny scraps.

RooDaisy Wed 21-Sep-16 23:28:46

I'm no expert but I'm sure he'll be fine. I know onions aren't great for dogs but mine has eaten things he's not supposed to and been fine. As long as it's only a little bit I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.
Keep an eye on his poops in the morning.

flowers

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 21-Sep-16 23:31:45

Thanks. I think we need to rethink his sleeping arrangements - living room/kitchen are open plan. He sleeps all evening then when we go to bed he has a ten minute mad food search sad

TrionicLettuce Wed 21-Sep-16 23:35:23

Apparently they need to eat something like 0.5% of their bodyweight in onion before they start getting negative effects. Unless your dog is really tiny then he's probably not eaten enough to cause an issue.

If in doubt though, give your vet a ring.

jb007 Wed 21-Sep-16 23:37:08

sounds like a small amount and I'm assuming your dog is a good size if he was able to reach the counter top so think he should be ok.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 21-Sep-16 23:37:59

Oh that's really reassuring tri, thanks. It couldn't have been more than a tenth of one onion so really just a few Grams. Thanks.

RooDaisy Wed 21-Sep-16 23:43:18

Can you move the bin further out if his reach? I've had to blu tac my bin closed to stop the big dog getting in bin and he's getting better with not getting on the counter although he did steal the mini egg mayo barm I was saving till last yesterday lunchtime.
I was not happy so gave the last of it to the little dog!! Grrrrrrr

ErrolTheDragon Wed 21-Sep-16 23:50:49

Afaik the problem with onions for dogs and cats is that is they have it regularly (eg eating human food rather than pet food or raw) they can get anaemia, rather than acute poisoning. Someone please correct me if I've got that wrong!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Wed 21-Sep-16 23:50:52

I think we can probably put it in a cupboard overnight. If we don't have it on the counter during the day it won't get used and our council are mad for the recycling - my landfill bin is tiny. He can get right to the back of the counters... Anyway, it's all a learning process. Although I think having a newborn baby was less stressful!

Thanks to everyone for the help, I was really panicking flowers

reallyanotherone Wed 21-Sep-16 23:59:21

The veterinary poisons unit now have a public access service.

You call, they tell you if your animal needs veterinary attention. There's a charge, but worth it it save a trip to the vets, especially out of hours!

RooDaisy Thu 22-Sep-16 14:01:54

Lonny How's DD today?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 22-Sep-16 14:55:26

Totally fine! Cream crackered after an extra long walk (I decided to 'explore' a farm track and we ended up a little bit further from home than normal, culminating in me walking past the farm house door by accident blush think we styled it out though!) Appetite and poo normal. Gave his belly a brush cos he was all muddy after the walk and I swear he purred! grin

It's a helter skelter, this dog lark, innit?

RooDaisy Thu 22-Sep-16 15:15:01

It is indeed. I'm glad he's feeling better and I love exploring and finding new places to walk. smile

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Thu 22-Sep-16 17:01:35

Can't thank you and everyone else enough for talking me down last night smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now