Alternative to Dentastix?

(11 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Sun 18-Sep-16 21:18:59

Think my dog may a bit sensitive to them. We are in the process of eliminating different stuff to see what makes a difference.

What do you all do re teeth/gum stuff?

sparechange Sun 18-Sep-16 21:20:46

Actual bones!

TrionicLettuce Sun 18-Sep-16 21:22:12

I just use a brush and toothpaste for my lot. The Logic Oral Hygiene Gel is great stuff as it works even if all you manage to do is smear it on their teeth. Mine seem to enjoy the flavour as well, they line up to have their teeth done when I get the brush out grin

Jungfraujoch Sun 18-Sep-16 21:31:31

Spare change - he does chew on a bone so is that enough? New dog owner here! Can't imagine he'd let me use toothpaste.

sparechange Sun 18-Sep-16 21:54:06

I'm not totally convinced that dentastix do that much for their teeth. I use them because they fit perfectly in a kong, and my girls go mad for them, but chewing and crunchy on juicy bones would have the same 'cleaning' action that dentastix claim to have. Good kibbl should do the same as well.

Your vet should have a look at teeth as part of the general health check when they do the boosters, so ask them to give their teeth a score out of ten. I would worry about toothpaste unless the vet flags a problem...

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 18-Sep-16 22:33:30

Dentastix are a lot of extra calories and don't do much for teeth at all. My old boy had half a stick every day and I had to pay over £200 to have his teeth cleaned at the vets. I bought a brush and paste after that.

Bubble2bubble Mon 19-Sep-16 13:21:03

Dried fish skin bars My dogs love them, they stink, and I actually think they are doing a good job on their teeth.

insan1tyscartching Tue 20-Sep-16 13:59:17

Vet always comments on Eric's teeth being good can only surmise it's because he has bones regularly. He gives the Dentastix a hmm face.

Darklane Tue 20-Sep-16 18:45:21

I use quite a few different things for my bunch.
They love the dried fish things, the bigger one has the twist bars but the little ones have the square lumps. They also love Vegident bars which are far better than Dentistix, I think, more natural. You can get different sizes.
I also sprinkle a little PlaqueOff on their dinner & brush their teeth daily with Logic or another similar one.
I've sometimes used Petzlife gel but they're not keen on it.
It's all a bit belt & braces but seems to work.

Haffdonga Tue 20-Sep-16 18:54:02

Old DDog has had half a dentastix every night of her life. Last time she had her teeth cleaned at the vets she had to have eleven rotten teeth taken out. blush Dentastix do fuck all but she's a no-go with a toothbrush.

She still gets her nightly half a stick though because she expects it and wont accept that it's bedtime until she's had it. If we were starting again I wouldn't bother.

I use Plaque off, which you sprinkle on their food and then a reindeer horn which he chews seems to do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now