Activities for a whippet.

(4 Posts)
IceIceIce Sun 18-Sep-16 16:18:23

I have a whippet bitch coming up to 10 months.

I'd like to get her out more as she really enjoys speeding around and I'm getting a bit sick of her wanting to run around with my horses all the time so I'd like to put it to something more suitable. She follows other dogs well so does anyone have any good ideas on what I could do with her or how to go about finding good local clubs for things to do.

I don't have any pedigree/papers on her (she is a pure bred whippet i know that much) and this would purely be for fun for us both.

TrionicLettuce Sun 18-Sep-16 17:19:07

Lure coursing is the perfect activity for whippets if there's a club near you that does it. There's also whippet racing which is nothing like greyhound racing, it's all just done for fun (there's no betting or anything involved) and the dogs love it. A lot of clubs do both and many are happy for anyone to go along and have a go.

Mine have quite enjoyed having a bash at both flyball and agility. You can find agility clubs here on AgilityNet and the British Flyball Association has a map of clubs.

There's also heelwork to music, obedience, canicross and rally that can be really good fun depending on what you and your dog enjoy. Have a look at the list of activities on the KC site.

WyldFyre Sun 18-Sep-16 19:50:49

Another vote for flyball. Loads of hound types getting into it now, it's not jay for collies

IceIceIce Tue 20-Sep-16 17:13:29

Thank you so so much! Will be checking all of these out. I'd read a bit about coursing.

That's good about racing too as I'm really not one for competitive stuff but if it's all for fun then I'm up for giving it a go 😊😊😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now