Does anyone have a Pekingese?

(34 Posts)
ReginaBlitz Fri 16-Sep-16 09:57:36

Hi just wondering if they made a good family pet, though it would be me spending all the time with her during the day, they are a breed I e always liked but weren't sure if they were more a one person dog?

powershowerforanhour Fri 16-Sep-16 19:47:27

Nice, but too brachycephalic and chondrodysplastic. The few I have seen in my vet career (they're not common now) were in for severe eye ulcers or spinal surgery, and they all had the sticking out curled tongue of a dog with a compromised ability to breathe. Sweet temperaments but conformationally fucked, all of them.

SleepFreeZone Fri 16-Sep-16 19:59:02

God no. I grew up with them. All I remember was them struggling to breathe and getting shit stuck to the long hair around their arse. I wouldn't want one of someone paid me to take it.

ReginaBlitz Fri 16-Sep-16 20:20:08

Mmmm sound great then.

ThisUsernameIsAvailable Fri 16-Sep-16 20:33:41

My grandma breeds them and Ive looked after them for her. They don't like walking, have breathing problems, need a lot of brushing and are inter bred so a bit stupid

Karcheer Fri 16-Sep-16 21:45:06

How about a shih tzu they are kind of similar.

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 08:39:58

I've always found shih tzus a bit stand offish and my friends killed her rabbit a long time ago do that kind of put me off! I've always liked Japanese chins and Pekingese. Just don't know obviously i want a dog that is going to have problems as don't want to see her suffering all the time!

Soubriquet Sat 17-Sep-16 08:41:04

What about a papillon?

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 10:20:34

Aren't they the same temp as chihuahuas? Do you have any experience with them? I thought they were like a one person dog?

Soubriquet Sat 17-Sep-16 10:42:42

No I haven't got any experience with papillons.

I do have experience with chihuahuas though. I had two of them. Fantastic little dogs. Not at all one person dogs. They love everyone! And they are NOT handbag dogs. They will walk for miles. Mine used to love going for a walk on the river bank and running through muddy puddles.

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 11:08:05

I did have a jack X chihuahua I had her from a puppy and did a lot of training with her,she turned out possessive, jealous and eventually vicious biting the kids and drawing blood a few times over little things like someone sitting near her blanket..I had to regime her with my friend who has no kids as my 4 year d became petrified of her! I had had her 2 and a half years and have her chance after chance and tried everything but I believe she really was a one person dog. I obviously thought that was the chihuahua in her.

TroysMammy Sat 17-Sep-16 11:14:30

My ex mil had pekinese. One was constantly snorting and chewed it's feet, some sort of allergy to carpets confused and didn't walk but shuffled. The other one a rescue. That one had numerous ops on his back and his eyes. The eyes from an inherited disorder the back from being kicked by his previous owner.

The snorty one was full on fluff and was dull as hell.

Soubriquet Sat 17-Sep-16 14:56:45

See I've had chihuahua, jrt and a jrt X chihuahua and none have been like that

The jrt was a one person dog yes but he wasn't aggressive

Sounds like you just got a moody dog

dotdotdotmustdash Sat 17-Sep-16 15:13:27

Try rescues and see if they have any adult dogs who come from family homes? That's your best bet for the right dog. Don't get hung on what it looks like, that's just the wrapping, instead go for temperament. My rescue dogs are the kindest, gentlest and best-behaved dogs I know. I took one of them to the busy first night of a dog-sport club last night and amongst all the pedigrees and breeder-bought dogs she was the calmest and had the best recall.

SleepFreeZone Sat 17-Sep-16 16:50:22

Pomeranians are yappy little shites so avoid them lol. My experience of JRTs are they they are snappy, yappy little tatters, do hope to those. We had two Yorkshire Terriers that killed our cats so I'm not mad on those b

SleepFreeZone Sat 17-Sep-16 17:03:25

*ratters
*so nope to those

Soubriquet Sat 17-Sep-16 17:08:08

Not all jacks are jerks. This was my rescue jrt Nero

He was my fur baby. He has his problems but he was soft as butter

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 19:00:02

I won't be able to have a rescue due to having a child under 3, have tried that before, my cat is a rescue cat though. I'm not that bothered about how the dog looks I just thought smaller may be better. I don't know it's just hard as I thought I had the perfect dog before despite the bad press jacks get and she turned out to be vicious. Just wonder if there is such thing as the perfect dog!

Enb76 Sat 17-Sep-16 19:07:29

We have a Peke. They used to be less overbred. They are lovely dogs but you do have to find the right breeder, we travelled across the country to find ours. He can be a bit smelly but I don't spend ages grooming and they don't tolerate heat well but do love a bit of snow.

SinclairSpectrum Sat 17-Sep-16 19:18:41

Have you considered a Border Terrier?
Small, friendly, good with kids, very healthy with big personalities.
They aren't as glam looking as some of the other breeds mentioned but would fit the bill and aren't difficult to come by.

Karcheer Sat 17-Sep-16 19:34:44

How about a King Charles? They are small and good with children.

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 19:35:01

Enb, so you have no issues as such with yours? There is someone with kc pups 5 miles from me. As for border terriers I have looked into them before but it's just the terrier part! And I've heard they can be a bit mad as pups.

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 19:37:03

Partners nana has a King Charles a bit marry so he isn't too keen, but my overall opinion of them is good as I looked after one for a week other than her not liking other dogs and chasing the cat! Temperament wise she was great. Just not sure how hard they are to train.

FenellaMaxwell Sat 17-Sep-16 19:38:54

How about a Maltese?

ReginaBlitz Sat 17-Sep-16 19:42:03

Fenella yes That was another one of my thoughts or a Maltese cross again not 100 percent on the temperament etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now