What breed of dog should I think of getting

(18 Posts)
fisharefriendsnotfood Tue 13-Sep-16 14:03:07

Hi all!

We have a very active 5 year old springer. Our westie passed away in May (13 bless her) and while we aren't thinking of getting another dog soon I want to start researching what might work for us....

I would love a dog that I can train to come on a long run with me. Other important factors are we have three kids, and I'd prefer if it didn't moult too badly....also the kids would love if it would catch a ball and bring back

Any suggestions?

TrionicLettuce Tue 13-Sep-16 14:25:47

Standard poodle? They're absolutely cracking dogs; active, playful and very biddable. Less shedding does equal more grooming but an all over short clip is pretty easy to care for between trims.

phillipp Tue 13-Sep-16 14:27:02

I am not a dog expert but my dpup is a working cocker.

Doesn't leave hair everywhere, has been really easy to train and great with the kids. She would walk for miles if we let her.

Loves to play games like fetch and find.

Klchi Tue 13-Sep-16 14:29:49

Jack Russell? They never tire so perfect for running!

mycatstares Tue 13-Sep-16 14:30:10

Whippets are meant to be a really good family dog, they love a run as well. I think their meant to be quite easy to train, although they have a lot of energy to burn so I doubt you'd have any troubles getting it to play fetch anyway!

Sorry to hear about your westie, sounds like she had a lovely long life thoughflowers.

madgingermunchkin Tue 13-Sep-16 14:30:20

Labs, retrievers or border terriers are brilliant wth kids, great to take running. Do shed a bit, but it's only really an issue if you get a yellow lab/retriever

tabulahrasa Tue 13-Sep-16 15:04:50

I'd avoid labs and retrievers if you don't want lots of shedding and sighthounds if fetching balls really matters...

Other than that, pretty much anything really

Daytona79 Tue 13-Sep-16 15:06:37

A staffie, short hair and amazing with kids

Also no end of them stuffed in rescue centres ,

Daytona79 Tue 13-Sep-16 15:07:38

Should of said also loads of energy so would love being out running too

Pootles2010 Tue 13-Sep-16 15:09:09

Bearded collie? Don't moult at all, lots of running ability (sheep dogs). Lovely temperament.

fisharefriendsnotfood Tue 13-Sep-16 16:16:04

Lots of food for thought, thanks all!

Wolfiefan Tue 13-Sep-16 16:19:05

Bearded collies take a lot of grooming.
My mum has a border terrier. Laziest ever dog!
Pointer or collie or Dalmatian (they are bonkers though!)
Remember you can't run with a very young dog.

Karcheer Tue 13-Sep-16 17:12:12

I'd second a standard poodle, my parents have one that's just over a year old now and he is brilliant, my mum had previously had gsds and she trains the sp at the same dog school, the sp is miles ahead with agility/behaviour than the gsds of the same age. They've a motorhome and he is excellent with that, being put in all sorts of situations. Great with children even though we don't have any in our family that he would've got used to, very gentle with my nan and her housemates at her home. Neither she nor I can say a bad word against him. I've two American cockers who are amazing as well, but I'm biased.
Whoever said a jack Russell, I'm sorry needs their head examined I have never ever met a friendly one/100% trustworthy one and I know a lot of them.

OhHolyFuck Tue 13-Sep-16 17:46:52

Patterdale?

madgingermunchkin Tue 13-Sep-16 18:03:43

Wolfie you must have a defective one then grin one of mine has actually send herself arse over head she's been on such a mad one and running so fast.
But when they finally do wear themselves out they are more that happy to curl up and sleep like the dead. Preferably on a lap.

VilootShesCute Tue 13-Sep-16 18:08:07

Get a wolfhound they're amazing grin

CMOTDibbler Wed 14-Sep-16 16:36:40

I have lurchers, and they love to run with me. They'll do up to 14km on the lead with me (tbh its that I get bored of wee stops etc on longer runs than that) and we also trail run off lead. They like playing and don't moult.
Mine came from EGLR

chickensaresafehere Wed 14-Sep-16 17:17:48

Karcheer you need to meet my JRT then grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now