1 year old black Labrador - Fluxating platella

(9 Posts)
eightytwenty Mon 12-Sep-16 19:20:07

Our dog has been diagnosed with this by our vet and is being assessed by the vet school next week with a view to it being operated on. Has anyone's dog undergone the same?

eightytwenty Mon 12-Sep-16 19:22:41

Or even a luxating patella!

Phillipa12 Mon 12-Sep-16 19:28:03

I have a cocker spaniel with this in a hind leg, we had it operated on and it wasnt cheap and the recovery to start with was very very slow, but 6 months later he was back up on the grouse moor covering 30 odd miles in a day and you wouldnt have known he had a problem. 5 years on and no hes not grouse beating anymore but then he is 11 years old and there is some slight stiffness in the morning on his leg but then hes slightly stiff on all his legs but will still quite happily go on a 3/4 mile run every day.

eightytwenty Mon 12-Sep-16 19:46:39

Thanks Phillipa12. Ours is a gun dog and this was supposed to be her first season. Bad luck for her and my DH. What recovery did your CS have? Sounds like we might need to crate her for long periods of time. If so she's going to be miserable.

Phillipa12 Mon 12-Sep-16 20:16:55

Well for the first 48hrs he refused to come out of his crate and then for a few weeks it was 40metre walks only, we moved his crate around as he only felt safe in that and at night put him in crate but door open in the utility. In fairness to him he was fabulous and led us on his recovery, i was just very consious of him knocking or jarring the leg whilst on a walk so did take it very carefully and lead walked him for 3 months. The leg though was not a pretty sight when we picked him up from the vets, his entire hind leg upto the hip was shaved.

eightytwenty Mon 12-Sep-16 22:41:46

Thanks for sharing that. Poor dogs. At the moment she has days when she feels fine and can't understand why we're restricting her walks and keeping her on a lead.

Phillipa12 Tue 13-Sep-16 06:33:46

Our dogs leg only came to light when he damaged the tendons in his front paw (same side) whilst beating and i noticed that he was limping on his rear leg.

OCSockOrphanage Sat 17-Sep-16 17:25:45

Our Lab needed surgery on both elbows at 10 months old and had to be lead walked for a full month afterwards, followed by hydrotherapy, but 18 months on, she is all bounce and go. She has to be kept thin and strong so the muscle supports the elbows properly, and it cost a bomb, but has been a complete success, thanks to a series of excellent vets, radiographers and a star surgeon.

eightytwenty Tue 20-Sep-16 12:07:41

So dog is likely to be in the hospital till Friday and the cost of the operation is a staggering £3k, with insurance only covering up to £1k.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now