Help with puppy name please 🐢

(27 Posts)
Tigs76 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:28:29

Our springer spaniel pup is a week old today!! (first time dog owners) and we are working through some names.

We've managed to get our top 10 and looking for help in picking the final name. Something quite unique and pretty. Our list in no particular order:

Autumn, Amber, Boo, Fern, Poppy, Pearl, Ruby, Honey, Sapphire and Iona.

I've attached a piccie in case that helps :-)

Thanks πŸ˜€

Soubriquet Sun 11-Sep-16 14:31:55

I like Boo

I've heard gun dogs refer best to one syllable names as it's easier for them to respond to

Psyfuck Sun 11-Sep-16 14:39:42

How exciting! She's gorgeous! I love the name Autumn, personally, but your other names are also lovely too, and perfect for a spaniel - if it helps, there are usually a lot of Ruby Honey and Poppy owners about smile

My stinky spaniel is a boy - Frodo - and he is a mud magnet, massive pain in the bum, bed hog, grumpy dog...and the love of my life. Enjoy being owned by one of the best breeds: she will test your patience, break your heart, and give you some of the happiest memories grin

CalmYaTits Sun 11-Sep-16 14:39:54

Fern or honey

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Sun 11-Sep-16 14:44:05

So cute! I love Autumn for her.

DramaInPyjamas Sun 11-Sep-16 14:46:28

I think Fern suits her. It's a cute name for a puppy, but also a nice strong name for an adult dog.. She's gorgeous!!

WyldFyre Sun 11-Sep-16 15:52:09

Go with a short name - two syllables max, but preferably one. (Almost all working dogs follow this pattern)

To help pick a name, imagine the dog isn't coming back and how you'd feel shouting it repeatedly- if you'd feel daft, rule it out.

Foxtato Sun 11-Sep-16 16:04:25

I say Fern!!

DramaAlpaca Sun 11-Sep-16 17:20:57

Another vote for Fern, it's a lovely name for a springer.

PPs are right about working gundogs usually having one or two syllable names. Our springers have all had short names.

Springers are the best: mad, bouncy, fun, cuddly and all round wonderful dogs smile

She's adorable, btw.

ShirleyKnotReboot Sun 11-Sep-16 17:22:33

Fern is lovely.

MrsGsnow18 Sun 11-Sep-16 17:23:45

Boo or Fern. She's adorable!!

phillipp Sun 11-Sep-16 17:29:49

Ohhh is she liver? Or chocolate?

I like fern.

If you are on Facebook come join the sprockers, springers and cocker unite group. It's really helpful and everyone is lovely. smile

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Sun 11-Sep-16 17:51:11

I like Amber.

Tigs76 Sun 11-Sep-16 18:12:10

Thanks for all your posts, very helpful. We are so excited. Can't believe how much we all love her already!

We've now whittled it down to Fern, Autumn and Honey. My favourite is Fern, oldest son is Autumn and youngest son is Honey so looks like hubby might have the casting vote! Will keep you posted as to what she is eventually called.

I'm not sure how to do name replies but to Psyfuck Frodo is very cute, looking forward to all the challenges and making lots of memories 😊

Phillipp, she is liver. I'm on Facebook so I'll look for the group. Will need all the advice we can get πŸ˜€πŸΆ

MelanieCheeks Sun 11-Sep-16 18:27:36

What a sweetie!

ShirleyKnotReboot Sun 11-Sep-16 19:21:22

We wanted to call our Goldie pup 'Honey' but then I realised that calling 'HUN' out in the park might prick up many non-doggy ears!

Autumn is lovely but difficult to shorten effectively. Our puppy is Bronwen - Bron for short - and honestly? On recall she is always Bron ATM and I'm sure it will be easier for me to shriek 'BRON' in the park for recall.

whywonthedgehogssharethehedge Sun 11-Sep-16 19:55:41

I like boo

horseygeorgie1 Sun 11-Sep-16 20:06:40

Ohh congratulations! I love Fern.
This is mine, he is Tolly. Mad, completely mad but so very happy and no one makes you feel as adored as a Span! Beautiful nature with children as well.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 11-Sep-16 20:40:00

Couldn't you just eat her.. She's delicious.

2kids2dogsnosense Mon 12-Sep-16 13:36:58

Boo or Fern. I know a lot of dogs with your other names (except for Iona), so you would lose the unique quality you want. Iona is a nice name but too long - as someone has said, two syllables at most. (Most gun dogs I know have 2 syllable names, many have 1, none have 3).

If you are particularly keen on Iona, what about Isla as a compromise? I only know of one Isla.

Tigs76 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:14:37

Thanks everyone, especially about the syllables - makes perfect sense but something we had not considered. We picked Iona as we love the island but I can see with 3 syllables its a no no. We are down to 2 now. It's between Fern and Honey. I've a sneaking suspicion Fern may just win πŸ˜€ Nice and short and doesn't sound like a command the pup might get mixed up with. Will be back on later to let you know 🐢😊 All your input is very much appreciated 😊

mollie123 Mon 12-Sep-16 15:04:49

in case you are still vacillating - go with Fern
honey is usually a lab name (golden in colour) so is not very unique !

2kids2dogsnosense Mon 12-Sep-16 15:10:29

Agree with mollie - there are millions of bitches called Honey. I've yet to meet a Fern (and it's a lovely name),

TroysMammy Mon 12-Sep-16 15:14:52

It has to be Fern. My uncle had a springer called Bob. We used to take him to the woods to pick chestnuts in the autumn and he would charge through the ferns with his tongue lolling and ears bouncing up and down.

TroysMammy Mon 12-Sep-16 15:15:33

Bob never picked chestnuts, we did grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now