Does anyone else's dog prefer their OH?

(20 Posts)
daisygirlmac Fri 02-Sep-16 20:39:03

Our elderly JRT adores DH and merely tolerates me for food and possibly being let into the garden, although he's quite happy to come for a walk with me. DH is away for the weekend and grumpy dog is sulking badly, he won't come out of his cage and is completely uninterested in my kind invitation to have a cuddle on the sofa. Is anyone else the lower than the lowest of low things in their pet's opinion??

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:42:38

He takes you for granted (typical male) and is confident with your relationship whereas dh is a novelty friend!!

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Fri 02-Sep-16 20:45:46

I was at first with our old dog. He had come via a rescue from a woman with small children who took him back to the rescue because she couldn't cope with him (she wasn't walking him so he was escaping every chance he got). DDog would turn his head away from me, but he adored DH and cuddled in close to him. He was the same with all male and female friends and family - cuddly with the men, turned away from the women! It took a long time for him to get over it - in fact, he always remained a man's dog, but he decided he liked cuddling under my blanket on the sofa after about 6 months and gradually got more and more attached to me. We decided early on that I should feed him to try to stop his aloofness, and I think that helped a lot!

Not exactly the same as your scenario, though - I take it you've had your dog for a long time?

Womble75 Fri 02-Sep-16 20:53:15

Yep. Mines exactly the same. He was my 40th birthday present as it's taken years of pleading for my husband (very anti dog - he comes from a culture where they don't really keep dogs as pets) to relent. Now he is DH's shadow. I feed him, walk him, nursed him when he was on deaths door from allergic reaction to metacam, yet he adores my DH whilst tolerating me! My DH adores him too and has gone from tolerating him to being besotted with him. Dog can do no wrong in his eyes! Whereas I'm just a food slave hmm

littlemissneela Fri 02-Sep-16 21:04:13

I know this feeling all too well! My dog is mine; I walk her, feed her, groom her etc. She will happily lie on the floor, asleep all evening. However, the second my dh walks in the room and sits next to me, she leaps up and smooches up next to him sad

daisygirlmac Fri 02-Sep-16 21:19:07

We've not had him that long he's a rescue who's been with us about 2 years. He's always been like this! DH never feeds treats, only me, and I do most of the long fun walks while DH does the short ones. Can't think what I've done to offend the bugger. Still in his cage! Turned his face away before when I offered him a treat but then ran out and took it when I walked off. I am definitely just a food slave! He loves my mum so I don't think it's a woman thing. He thinks he's DH's boyfriend, he likes to snuggle in the crook of his arm

phillipp Sat 03-Sep-16 06:50:55

Dpup was like this. She would follow dh everywhere, cry when he left the house etc
Then I started whistle training her and she has changed. She now sits by my feet and follows me round. She is a gun dog type so maybe she loves the training so much, it's made her like me more.

chough Sat 03-Sep-16 12:34:42

I'm second fiddle to DH where our dog is concerned.
When DS still lived at home, I wasn't even in the orchestra.

LimeJellyHead Mon 05-Sep-16 19:28:23

Our Darcey loved my hubby Paul to the ends of the earth. She wasn't ever dismissive of me but she much preferred her Daddy flowers

chough Mon 05-Sep-16 19:36:30

Lime, I remember you posting about losing your Darcey.
That's a lovely photo: anyone can see how they adored each other!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 05-Sep-16 20:42:05

My old spaniel was my shadow at home. I walked him, fed him and trained him. The minute we went out for a shoot I was completely ignored and he would work for my dh. Traitor.

Current labrador is also my shadow and again I do everything for him. Doesn't seem too bothered by dh. grin

2kids2dogsnosense Wed 07-Sep-16 19:33:23

Up till we got our springer, all of our dogs had been "mine" - by that I mean that I was the favourite "parent`'. However Pip is her Daddy's girl. I walk, feed and groom her (and her cocker spaniel sister), but Daddy is the one who can do no wrong and she clambers onto him and snuggles every chance she gets.

If there was a fire, she would save her Dad.

Our cocker would rescue the tennis ball . . .

Salutarychoring Thu 08-Sep-16 20:09:59

I spend the most time with our furry (adopted lh daschund). We are together for hours and hours and I feed, play, train, groom and walk him. Yet he lives for the moment when dh comes home. They spend most evenings on the sofa together gazing in to one another's eyes.

Irelephant Thu 08-Sep-16 20:12:31

Good timing. I've just put this picture on FB. Titled soft shite.

She's my bloody dog angry

Eolian Thu 08-Sep-16 20:14:24

Yup. He loves me but he adores dh to a ridiculous extent.

PikachuSayBoo Thu 08-Sep-16 20:14:34

Mine is a total daddy's girl.

I walk her, I feed her, i groom her. She's my dog. She loves Dh more than me. Snuggles up to him on the sofa. Goes crazy when he gets back from work. He doesn't/didn't even like dogs and didn't want one!

daisygirlmac Thu 08-Sep-16 20:18:54

My DH didn't even want the bloody dog either at first! Now they're best buddies of course, dog is currently climbing all over DH while trying to lick his face, it's one of their favourite games that DH tries to block him. I, on the other hand, tried to play with him earlier with a toy (thought it might interest him enough to play with me!) and he went and got in his bed and turned his back one me, little shit 😂

Moonrocks6 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:32:35

We had a jrt like this. Loved my dad. Wouldn't entertain the rest of us. My uncles Jackie was all for him too.
Maybe it's partially a breed thing.

The cat on the other hand is all mine and not arsed about DH at all. grin

2kids2dogsnosense Thu 08-Sep-16 22:49:59

daisygirl Heartbreaking isn't it? I'm out at 6.00 in the morning walking the ungrateful furry little buggers for an hour, wind, rain and shine, and fair-weather father lies in bed until yon time, and when he gets up it's all

"DADDY! IT'S DADDY!!! WE'VE MISSED YOU DADDY!"

Little gits!

TWOBANANAS Fri 09-Sep-16 07:27:53

Mine loves him to bits. He never wanted a dog. I feed her, walk her, groom her, take her to the vets yet she waits for him to come home. If he tries to give me a hug she's straight in there all jealous and protective of him (not me). Absolute little shit. But I do love her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now