Do I need to take my dog to the emergency vet?

(13 Posts)
TheDuchessOfKidderminster Mon 29-Aug-16 12:44:34

Ddog has had a cyst removed this week, she keeps scratting at the stiches though hindering the healing process. I've covered them up as best as I can but they're difficult to protect due to the site of wound. The vet put some staples in the other day and she's managed to get at them again and opened up the wound by half a cm or so (about the width of the staples). All the staples are still in and it is only bleeding slightly. I've rinsed the site with cooled boiled water, sprayed on some antiseptic and put on some heavy duty bandaging round her neck and chest. Should I take her to the vet now or can it wait until morning? I can post a pic if that would help.

chough Mon 29-Aug-16 14:14:53

I would worry about leaving it until tomorrow.
Could you phone the vet to explain what has happened and see what they advise?

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Mon 29-Aug-16 18:18:10

I've spoken to the emergency vets who say there's not much they would do that I haven't already. I'll be calling my normal vet in the morning. Why do these things always happen on a bloody Bank Holiday or Saturday Evening?

Goingtobeawesome Mon 29-Aug-16 18:19:34

Get a collar?

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Mon 29-Aug-16 19:06:25

It's in totally the wrong place for a collar unfortunately. I've got a crepe bandage wrapped around her neck and chest so that she looks like a half finished mummy!

chough Mon 29-Aug-16 19:10:54

Poor girl sounds in the wars!
Well, at least the vet has said it will be okay until tomorrow; I think it was a good thing to just check.
Hope she's better soon.

insan1tyscartching Mon 29-Aug-16 19:13:34

Can you put socks on his feet so that he can't scratch with his claws? We had to do that when Eric has a wound on his neck.

2plus1 Mon 29-Aug-16 21:02:13

Not sure what size your dog is but can you put them in a t-shirt to help cover the wound?

villainousbroodmare Mon 29-Aug-16 21:11:03

As it is, it will be fine till tomorrow. I think you'd better keep her close beside you for the night though, in case she 'operates' on it further!

chough Wed 31-Aug-16 08:04:20

How is Duchessdog doing?

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Wed 31-Aug-16 18:14:25

She's alright - the vet saw her yesterday and said the wound was healing alright and to try to leave it open to the air as much as we can. The dog is not impressed with the amount of bandages I'm having to use grin

TheDuchessOfKidderminster Wed 31-Aug-16 18:15:22

And thank you for asking smile

chough Fri 02-Sep-16 10:39:06

Glad she's doing well.
Hopefully she'll improve each day now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now