Staying over at a house with fleas....will I bring them home to my dog?

(6 Posts)
CoffeeAddictionUnderway Mon 22-Aug-16 21:19:47

Wise residents of the doghouse, can you share your wisdom?

I have to spend a few nights at a relative's house this week. Apparently their house has a flea problem at the moment.

I'm a tad worried about bringing fleas back to my house which may then infest poor DDog in turn!

What are the chances of that happening, do you think, and should I say I can't stay? (It's for a big family do, and I may cause offence if I don't....)

tabulahrasa Mon 22-Aug-16 22:21:14

Yes you probably will, unless you destroy anything that was in the house with you, clothes and what have you.

Though if your dog is on any of those monthly treatments they should die off before it's an infestation in your house, if that helps any confused

CoffeeAddictionUnderway Mon 22-Aug-16 23:32:40

Thanks tabulah. Am thinking I'll say I'll stay elsewhere. It can't be worth it? I've heard they can take months to get rid of, if an infestation takes hold...

Anchovies12 Mon 22-Aug-16 23:36:18

Personally i think it will be fine as long as your dog is up to date. It must be almost impossible to get an infestation from the number of fleas that can be carried on a human then feed on a poisonous dog?

villainousbroodmare Mon 22-Aug-16 23:47:35

I think it's very unlikely. It's fleas, not bubonic plague. You won't need to destroy your clothing or luggage.

Fleas don't like humans much and are not going to move onto you en masse. The worst case scenario is a few bites and a flea or two on your clothing, which is extremely unlikely to cause a problem in your house.

1. Make sure your pets are up to date with flea spot-on.
2. Buy a can of environment flea spray and tuck it in your case.
3. Pack clothes that you can spray or wash or both. Same for your case. Bring a plastic bag or two as well.
4. Go to the event!
5. Try if possible not to stay in a room where fleabitten pets sleep, as their sleeping surfaces will be full of fleas.
6. Spray your room on the QT and place your case on a hard surface, not on carpet or bed.
7. When you get home, spray and/ or wash your clothes immediately and spray your suitcase.

Even if you don't do all that but simply wash your clothes when you get home, as anyone would normally do, you'll be fine.

CoffeeAddictionUnderway Tue 23-Aug-16 10:04:35

Thanks all that's helpful and encouraging! Will do 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now