Am I mad?

(3 Posts)
EnglishBreakfastTea Mon 15-Aug-16 09:35:13

To be thinking about getting another dog when I have 3 month old DS and 2 year old DD? We already have a 3 year old cocker who we all love to bits, she's the sweetest softest dog who is just brilliant with the babies - however, she just doesn't play and I can't help but think she'd like some company of her own. MIL has 2 spaniels and when they come over my dog completely changes and runs around like a mad thing playing, it's so nice to watch - so, should we get another? Cost etc wouldn't be an issue, I'm just a little worried that going from 1 to 2 dogs would be like going from 1 to 2 children, which was a shock to the system to say the least grin

davos Mon 15-Aug-16 10:08:46

Don't get get a second dog based only on company for your existing dog. What if your current dog hates the new one?

Personally I wouldn't get another dog while I had a small baby and a toddler and another dog. I wouldn't have the time to put into training properly, so it would be unfair to the dog itself.

But if you know you will cope and you will have time, do it.

sugarplumfairy28 Wed 17-Aug-16 15:35:01

If you think you have the time to train and look after a 2nd dog then go for it. I have 2 dogs, my 1st (a westie) Bonnie, wasn't exactly lonely or anything I just wanted another so I got a miniature sausage dog, Oscar. They are the best of friends!!

They are only little dogs so not difficult to take both out, Ocsar is a thick as two short planks though, has never gotten the hang of something like fetch, but can manage sit, his 9 so I'm not holding out much hope on him ever getting it. If you have a well tempered dog, read up on introducing new dogs and follow it to the letter.

The downside, for us at least. Oscar can't stand to be without Bonnie, he howls and gets very obviously upset, I'm dreading the day we lose one and as horrible as it sounds I hope we lose Oscar first so he doesn't have to deal with possibly years of heartbreak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now