Dogish things your dog does that only dogs can do

(45 Posts)
90daychallenger Tue 09-Aug-16 14:26:13

Inspired by the thread about cats doing cat stuff.

What dog stuff does your dog do?

My rescue terrier has taken to epic sulking until we take her out on a walk. Yesterday she sat in the hallway on freezing cold tiles for an hour looking down at the floor like she'd been abused and making the occasional whimper until I was eventually able to take her out at 5.30pm.

She also screeches at me when she's just woken up and does a massive yawn it comes out as a massive screech. Our neighbours have heard it through the wall blush

BigginsforPope Tue 09-Aug-16 14:31:21

When i go in the kitchen to make dinner my whippet follows me and sits by the bag of dog food. He then stares at the bag whilst giving me occasional glances. Sometimes he lets out a sigh for good measure. This performance continues until I feed him.

Clutteredmess Tue 09-Aug-16 14:35:31

Ddog2 will continually pat me with her paw until I do whatever it is she feels she needs - walk, food, cuddle, going out for a wee. She reminds me of a very insistent toddler (but without the tantrums)

Clutteredmess Tue 09-Aug-16 14:40:37

Ddog1 also screeches if he feels his person has been infringed in any way - pushing him gently out of the way, a lead tangled round his leg, getting him to move off the sofa. An actual injury is usually taken fairly stoically.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Tue 09-Aug-16 14:46:08

That funny thing with empty plastic flowerpots. Running around the garden, throwing them up in the air and catching them on their head. I assume lots of dogs do this, because both of mine do?

My oldest dog can't jump onto the sofa or bed any more, so just places her head on the furniture item of choice and stands there until someone lifts her onto it.

Younger dog will dash over to the sofa and fetch me the tv remote the scone my husband leaves the room.

90daychallenger Tue 09-Aug-16 14:46:51

All your pooches sound amazing! Keep 'em coming.

LordRothermereBlackshirtCunt Tue 09-Aug-16 14:47:17

second not scone

chough Tue 09-Aug-16 16:28:05

Picks up on words or phrases related to going for a walk, and gets excited, even if they've been used in a different context, so we avoid known triggers,eg. saying G.O. instead of "go out", G.R. for "get ready"; and avoid precursory phrases such as "right,then".

chough Tue 09-Aug-16 16:34:42

Biggins's whippet sounds like an Oscar-winning actor, with his glancing and sighing performance.

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Tue 09-Aug-16 16:43:00

Mine puts her chin on whatever big of you she can reach and gives you the Bambi eyes if there's something she wants. She will Look until you buckle.

My DM (who spoils her rotten) can say casually, in a normal conversational voice to me in the kitchen "would you like a snack?" and ddog will appear from the far end of the garden and start the Getting A Snack dance. (Which combines sitting bolt upright at her feet in Faithful Hound/What A Good Girl I Am post with occasional seconds of dancing on her hind legs when excitement gets the better of her)

She rushes downstairs ahead of me, leaps on the sofa, sticks her nose in the air and howls- a full blooded wolf howl - on us coming downstairs for the first time in the morning. No idea what that's about.

If I mention to anyone, ever, that I am going to do something - like get a cup of tea, find some socks, water a plant, the other day I mentioned nipping in to see how division four of the gymnastics team were doing - she starts whirling and gazing into my eyes with frantic excitement for the second we go, and rushes ahead of me to help.

tealady Tue 09-Aug-16 16:44:16

Sometime around 9.30-10pm he leaps up from the sofa beside me where he will have been sleeping (and snoring loudly). He then sits on floor in front of me, staring intently because he has decided its bed time. If I ignore him, the staring continues accompanied by a paw on my leg to double check he has my attention. His gaze never falters until I give in.

What he really wants is to be let out for a last wee so that he can have his night time biscuit. But its hard to carry on watching TV whilst being silently nagged by a dog.

chough Tue 09-Aug-16 16:46:30

tealady, this could be my dog exactly: I'm sure he can tell the time.
I'm wondering if yours is a collie, or a collie cross.

BabyGanoush Tue 09-Aug-16 16:49:30

Lordrothermere, my lurcher does "flowerpotties" grin, also ranfom mad loops at the end of a walk, preferably at 40MpH, prefeeably around s group of people who all look frightened they'll get knocked over...

Also puts her head on my lap and looks sad, licking my hand, pushing my phone out of my hand, when it is walk time.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 09-Aug-16 16:50:36

It's not just picking up on phrases - actions such as putting on my coolmax socks (the sort designed as liners for walking socks) or getting a rucksack out will generate that excited state. Binoculars cause a more watchful response as they sometimes mean dogs verboten nature reserve.

MothershipG Tue 09-Aug-16 17:10:38

If it's cold my middle Ddog bats DH on the head until DH lifts the duvet so dog can go under.

He doesn't bother trying it with me because I just ignore him, cruel dog mother that I am gringrin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 09-Aug-16 20:10:17

My dog is telepathic.

I swear, as soon as I start thinking about getting ready to take him out, he gets all expectant and excited. Before I've even got up.

He also knows what time it is. He comes and frets at me until I go and feed him.

He's in disgrace today though. He's tall enough that when he stands up he can reach the back of the kitchen worktop. We came home today to find he'd chewed up dd2's sunglasses. I know I left them against the wall. I think he gets separation anxiety and has to chew something of ours. Little bastard.

Sooverthis Tue 09-Aug-16 20:22:04

When we go to the garden center (dh favourite place for coffee, cake and ambling) ddog won't walk at all. He insists on riding in the trolley, we have to get a trolley for him to ride on even if we don't need one, it's quite embarrassing blush he sits in the top bit on his special blanket or the newspapers if I've forgotten said blanket and gets lots of attention. not spoilt at all I believe it's because he's tiny and the clanking noises of trolleys frighten him and his view from up top is better. Dh thinks it's because ddog believes he actually is a baby.

90daychallenger Wed 10-Aug-16 10:30:22

Sooverthis That is amazing. There's a schnauzer at my local Pets at Home that does this. I've seen him a couple of times riding in the trolley. Last time I said he looked adorable and the woman with him said he refuses to walk in the shop and has to sit in the trolley. I could see my terrier looking and getting ideas!

HerOtherHalf Wed 10-Aug-16 10:35:26

My last dog died in January but what a character he was. So many memories. A few years ago we spent Christmas morning teaching him to unwrap his own presents. Roll forward to the next year. We got up on Christmas morning to find him sitting in a mountain of shredded paper having unwrapped all the presents under the tree, every single one. The kids were gutted. He spent every subsequent Christmas Eve locked in the kitchen.

Sooverthis Wed 10-Aug-16 12:18:22

Challenger glad I'm not the only one

90daychallenger Wed 10-Aug-16 12:34:45

HerOther I'm really sorry for your loss. It's heart breaking. He sounds like he was a real cracker smile

SharingMichelle Wed 10-Aug-16 12:39:49

Well my dog manages to lie exactly where i need to be at any given moment in the day. It's a talent.

FenellaMaxwell Wed 10-Aug-16 12:44:00

Ours does the paw patting thing too when she wants something. Unless I'm cooking something she really wants, in which case she will hurl herself at my leg like a tiny, fluffy battering ram.... hmm

HerOtherHalf Wed 10-Aug-16 12:47:58

I'm really sorry for your loss. It's heart breaking. He sounds like he was a real cracker smile

Thank you. It was heartbreaking at the time and I still miss him deeply but life goes on. I'll never forget him but we now have a new furry terrorist making the house a home again - a beautiful dark golden ginger lab who's now five months old. Funny enough, I've just had my neighbour at the door because muttley had managed to eat through our admittedly thin make-shift gate and was "helping" the neighbour by digging up his freshly planted vegetable patch smile. Looks like I'll be fitting a new gate this weekend.

Glittershoes22 Wed 10-Aug-16 12:52:51

I love cute things dogs do! My top 3 cute/annoying things from our pooch are:

1. Sitting and crying at the cupboard that contains her Pigs Ears in the evening until we go and have a chat. She knows she is only allowed 2 a week but she still trys her luck most nights.

2. Using her paw to pat my arm when she thinks I have worked long enough and its time to go home and start dinner (usually between 6.30 and 7pm)

3. High pitch yelping as soon as her collar goes on for walkies. No matter what tactics we use to try to avoid the high pitch yelping it just bubbles out of her like fizz. Our neighbours probably set their watches by her walk time, 1pm....

4. Being the best floor cleaner and dish licker ever, the 3 second rule doesn't stand a chance in our house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now