Greyhound skin condition. Help!

(6 Posts)
OneOfTheGrundys Sat 06-Aug-16 11:42:10

Our 9yo ex racer grey has been diagnosed with what the vet calls an autoimmune condition. It seems like eczema. He has lots of balding, crusty, sore patches and fur loss in these areas. He's OK in himself. Slowed down a bit recently but he is getting on a bit now.

It's nothing contagious and bacterial/parasitical conditions have been tested for and ruled out. Also our other grey is fine (thus has been going on months).

We're on steroids and a medicated shampoo to keep the lesions clean. It's not helping much and more patches keep appearing.

He's fed Burns, duck and brown rice, which agrees really well with his tummy. Coat otherwise lovely shiny and sleek.

I'm thinking about changing him to raw fed.

Any other ideas where to go from here?

TIA lovely doghouse. 🙂

BagelGoesWalking Sat 06-Aug-16 18:47:56

Have a look at this thread. I posted info with website and FB group link.

Salmon oil
Eggs
Tripe
Coconut oil

OneOfTheGrundys Sat 06-Aug-16 18:55:17

Thank you Bagel. Can you link to the thread? All that sounds very doable!

AnUtterIdiot Sun 07-Aug-16 09:26:32

Flaxseed oil possibly also worth a try?

BagelGoesWalking Sun 07-Aug-16 10:39:35

Sorry! Forgot the link, doh.

This is the FB group and this is the website.

Most people who raw feed seem to think it's really good for their dog's teeth, which is often an issue with greyhounds, I believe.

OneOfTheGrundys Thu 11-Aug-16 10:55:40

Thank you! Just getting home from a few days away, friends been dog sitting at our house. All fine it seems!
I can get to work on this proper now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now