Will my dogs coat be ruined if I got her clipped?

(22 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 25-Jul-16 18:36:35

She's a Border Terrier, as far as I'm aware she has never been clipped, she's only ever been hand stripped. There's only one groomer around here (without travelling miles) that does hand stripping and his prices are extortionate. She's looking a bit scruffy around the edges and I'm thinking she'd look so much neater if she were clipped! We have a furminator but there's only so many places it can reach. Her armpits, face etc are pretty scruffy compared to the big sections of her body.

I'm pretty new to having a dog that needs coat maintenance so I'm not sure of the best way to keep her looking tidy(ish! She is a terrier after all grin ). I only ask if clipping could ruin her coat because I recently heard a groomer telling a customer that if she clipped their GSD's coat, it would grow back all clumpy and horrible (The customer wanted their dog clipped because he had a skin condition which they thought his thick coat wasn't helping). I know BT's "should" be hand stripped but can they be clipped?

toldmywrath Mon 25-Jul-16 18:40:08

I don't have a BT but I do have a dog that is regularly clipped. I absolutely never realised that you could ruin a dog's coat by clipping (never heard of hand stripping)

This probably won't help as my dog is not BT, I've pm'd their breed. My dog grows back beautifully when clipped.

Fabellini Mon 25-Jul-16 18:46:12

We have a cairn terrier, a breed that should be hand stripped - particularly if we wanted to show him.
I've always just had him clipped though, it grows back fairly evenly and he looks lovely to us - not overly concerned what anyone else thinks to be honest!

Fabellini Mon 25-Jul-16 18:50:48

This is him the last time he was at the groomers......handsome!

NeedACleverNN Mon 25-Jul-16 18:52:06

I think border terriers need stripping or it does ruin the coat

My mums dog got clipped when she got badly knotted and completely changed and she was a poodle type. These pictures are before and after... She was that colour as an adult before I clipped her

FenellaMaxwell Mon 25-Jul-16 18:53:53

You really shouldn't clip borders - they have a double layer coat and it's only the outer layer that should be removed.

pigsDOfly Mon 25-Jul-16 18:54:16

Ideally Boarder terriers shouldn't be clipped.

Have you thought about learning to hand strip your dog yourself? I understand it's not that tricky if you take it slowly. Pretty sure you could google it.

My daughter's dog (not a BT) has a double coat that has been clipped too short in the past. It now grows very unevenly and thick and needs constant attention. My dog, sister of daughter's dog, has never been clipped. I brush her well to remove dead hair and her coat keeps it shape and always looks tidy.

It's easy to ruin a dog's coat. I wouldn't risk it if I were you.

ImBrian Mon 25-Jul-16 19:19:33

Hand stripping is fairly easy, I do my sisters border for her though it takes ages.

DartmoorDoughnut Mon 25-Jul-16 19:22:19

My BT hates being stripped so is clipped, he's fine! I mean I can't show him but he's had the snip so I couldn't in any case!

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 25-Jul-16 19:24:31

Another vote for learning to strip her yourself. It's very satisfying.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 25-Jul-16 19:30:15

I do try and hand strip her myself but I just can't get the hang of it. The rescue she came from is run by someone who is also a groomer, she said that my dog is 'really easy' to strip and that she just used to sit on the sofa at night stripping her while watching TV.

Floralnomad Mon 25-Jul-16 19:35:56

My mum has border X JRTs and she has them hand stripped , my patterdale X has a similar wiry coat and I have him clipped , when his hair grows back it looks fine ,it certainly grows evenly ,that said he has it clipped ( really short ) every 5 weeks and goes to the groomers for a bath between clips . I want my dog to be comfortable and easy to maintain - he likes swimming and wallowing in muddy puddles which is why I keep his hair so short . In the bad weather he wears Equafleece jumpers on his walk and we have our house at a temperate level 24/7 so he doesn't get cold overnight . ( to clarify we have the heating on anyway not just for the dog ) .

DartmoorDoughnut Mon 25-Jul-16 19:41:25

Ditto to the equafleece jumpers

Ellieboolou27 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:45:34

I'm a dog groomer and clip most of my borders, it's just the request from most owners as its cheaper! Borders are meant to be hand striped, and clipping will most likely change the texture of the cost, however if you get a good groomer who is recommended then a clipped border will look lovely.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 25-Jul-16 19:57:54

I have a Glen of Imaal terrier which has a similar sort of coat that should be hand stripped. He never took to being groomed, I did try to get him used to it with lots of treats etc but he just doesn't like it. So I have him clipped a couple of times a year. I try to make sure that he's not clipped too soon before winter so that he has a least a bit of his outer coat. I quite like the look of his coat when it's just been clipped as it shows a lovely colour variation. I haven't had any problems with the regrowth.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 25-Jul-16 21:54:25

She's not got an Equafleece but she does have a Ruff & Tumble drying coat. I call it her bath robe grin

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Mon 25-Jul-16 21:55:32

Black your dog is gorgeous, I've never seen a Glen of Imaal Terrier before! That face ❤️

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Mon 25-Jul-16 22:18:28

Thanks SexLube. If he wasn't clipped, and was willing to be groomed he would look like this. (Not him, but exactly the same colouring.)

I love yours too, Border Terriers are real characters. grin

BertrandRussell Mon 25-Jul-16 22:23:45

You really should get Borders stripped- their coat goes weird if you don't. It only needs doing twice a year, though- so even though it's expensive it's not too bad........

DartmoorDoughnut Mon 25-Jul-16 22:51:53

Honestly the coat doesn't always go weird. It can 'blow' - go all soft and fluffy - but my BT is 5 now and has been clipped for the last 3 years, his coat is just as coarse as it was.

As with humans they're all different!

Floralnomad Mon 25-Jul-16 23:37:51

If you are not showing them and are prepared to make up for what's missing ie waterproofing and warmth I can't see how it matters at all whether they have a wiry coat or a soft coat

pigsDOfly Tue 26-Jul-16 13:15:49

Yes, that's my main concern with clipping the double coat, it doesn't always do it's job properly when it grows back.

My dog hates wearing a coat of any kind so it wouldn't work for us I'm afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now