Dog growling

(9 Posts)
winkywinkola Sun 24-Jul-16 08:40:53

I have a golden Labrador bitch. The sweetest natured, most biddable lovely dog ever!

She always barks in excitement when somebody comes to the door. She really likes it when we have visitors and makes a fuss of them.

But there are two people that she growls and growls at. They are the only two people to whom I've known her to react this way.

Does it mean anything at all?

branofthemist Sun 24-Jul-16 09:40:44

I had a cocker for year (just got another one) and she growled at one person. Our meter reader, luckily he found it funny. I genuinely didn't think she could growl before that.

I think it means they are wary of the person for a random reason. Weird smell, to talk, doesn't look familiar.

What do you think it could mean?

branofthemist Sun 24-Jul-16 09:41:14

I had a cocker for years

ggirl Sun 24-Jul-16 09:45:36

My dog growls at one of ds' friends and this same friends dad..both are really dog friendly people ..its very strange and embarrassing .

This friend did tease my dog when she was a puppy and frightened her so she may remember that and hasn't forgiven .

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 24-Jul-16 09:56:31

Guess it means for whatever reason she doesn't like them and she isn't comfortable around them.

Never tell a dog off for growling, listen to what they're saying and act accordingly.....so make sure these people she doesn't like back off and don't get to close.

PacificDogwod Sun 24-Jul-16 10:03:47

Our greyhound occasionally growls at 'young men' (this includes 13yo DS, unfortunately) when tired and grumpy and they are too close to his bed/standing over him.

I agree with Simon, do not punish a dog for growling, listen to them and heed the warning.

We are trying to address the DS1 issue with love-bombing DHound: DS gives him his dinner and lots of treats during the day while respecting his personal space/bed in the evening.
It's quite funny how the dog clearly gets tired and then less sociable - just like a toddler grin

winkywinkola Sun 24-Jul-16 10:06:05

This is what I mean. H tells her off. I watch closely.

She doesn't cower from the two people she growls at but approaches them like she does everyone. She has to greet everyone. But with these two, she does it, growling with her head down and tail wagging as usual.

PacificDogwod Sun 24-Jul-16 10:11:03

Get those people to give her high-value treats.
Repeatedly.

DHound here also resource-guards me (he is far too bonded to me) which is why we started making a point to have other people feed/groom/walk him. It has worked.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 24-Jul-16 12:01:59

Tail wagging does not always mean a dog is happy. It can also be a sign of upset, fear, aggression.

My old dog used to fly at people and rip chunks out of them while wagging his tail like mad!

Agree about high value treats, so bits of cheese, ham, etc. As the dog approaches them they toss treats. They never approach the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now