Breeder and waiting

(6 Posts)
TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 23-Jul-16 19:25:21

I have been on a breeder waiting list since April. I spent a long time choosing and am very happy with my choice. I was told approximately early September at the time, but clearly a bitch coming into season is not an exact thing and these things change and shift. Fair enough and understandable

The bitch still isn't in season, I've just spoken to the breeders son who lives with his mum and helps with the dogs and he has told me it will be December now. Is my maths so wrong? He said mum is just coming into season now and it will be a 'few' weeks. I have no idea how predictable these things are.

I sound a bit impatient and I am I suppose. It would be so easy to go to another breeder who I know has just had a litter of puppies from the same line as the original breeder. If I had met them first, I would have been happy with them.
Now I feel a sense of loyalty to the very lovely and generous with time original breeder and that I should wait.
The thing is. I don't want to wait any longer. House training a puppy in December in the dark and cold and wet at 3am is going to be more difficult and I cried when they said December. There is such a huge hole in my life ( I don't do people, am autistic)

I don't know what to do. Can anyone advise please.

Also if a dog comes into season in the next couple of weeks, surely that's November for a puppy being ready, not December??

tabulahrasa Sat 23-Jul-16 20:26:56

"Is my maths so wrong?"

Yesish...

If it was exactly 2 weeks today, you'd be looking at puppies ready to leave in the last couple of days of November/beginning of December.

"He said mum is just coming into season now and it will be a 'few' weeks. I have no idea how predictable these things are."

Not very, if she's showing actual physical signs of coming into season it will be fairly predictable, if it's just an educated guess she could be any time really.

The thing is, it's cold and dark at 3am most times of the year, if you've got a good breeder, stick with waiting, honestly they're so rare.

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 23-Jul-16 21:22:33

Thanks. I have stopped being upset now ( mostly!)
I will wait. I'm in contact with the breeder and son fairly regularly and I'm going to see them and spend some time learning about the specifics of grooming this breed as its new to me with the long coat. They are the loveliest people. I've done my homework I hope. I even took the children to the dog show to see them and everyone kept saying to me I would get a great healthy pup from this breeder. I was offered a few pups when I was there. Was a bit money grabby yucky actually from some people. I had no idea it was such an 'industry' and ruthless too - even among kennel club approved breeders. Some of the dogs were clearly just commodities.
Looks like Christmas time for us then.

Mrsderekshepard Sat 23-Jul-16 21:25:28

How many times has this dog had pups?

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 23-Jul-16 21:28:33

This is her 3rd and last litter

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 23-Jul-16 21:29:16

Last litter was may 2014

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now