rehoming my dog... advice please

(42 Posts)
ghostspirit Sat 23-Jul-16 11:20:11

hi im sadly im having to rehome my dog i really dont want to. but i will be going into some sort of temporary accommodation. im really worried because hes a staff and hes 12 years old. im thinking if i get a dog rescue type of place they might put him down because of his age and breed. but if i rehome him with people he might get used as a bateing dog or something. any suggestions would be great thank you

SooWrites Sat 23-Jul-16 11:24:55

It would be easier to help if you gave us a clue of where you are. There are a iot of breed specific rescues for staffies and bullbreeds, I would try those first.

A no kill rescue won't pts unless there are health issues. Do not under any circumstances rehome privately.

GuruDal Sat 23-Jul-16 11:26:38

NAWT National Animal Welfare Trust or Dogs Trust will help you. Give them both a ring today OP.

They will charge an adoption fee to a new owner & carefully choose a match.

ghostspirit Sat 23-Jul-16 11:28:47

soo im in southeast london.

guru does that mean he wont get out donw because of age/breed

IloveCheese11 Sat 23-Jul-16 11:30:37

Try the Senior Staffy Club. They specifically deal with older staffies and staffy crosses and match them with good rescue centres. You can find them on Facebook. I used to donate to a different rescue and one of the ladies left there and joined this one. She is truly devoted to dogs and they give full rescue backup and detailed homechecks. They will collect from anywhere in the country. They can also sometimes arrange temporary foster if you think you could get back into regular accommodation in the future and could the have him back.

ghostspirit Sat 23-Jul-16 11:38:37

cheese i have messaged them thank you

IloveCheese11 Sat 23-Jul-16 11:45:47

Good luck Ghost, I hope they can help. I think the lady I mentioned is in SE London too. I know they have taken dogs before where owners circumstances have changed.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sat 23-Jul-16 11:50:20

im pretty sure dogs trust don't put to sleep I've seen a few elder Staffs on their site

ghostspirit Sat 23-Jul-16 11:56:30

thanks fingers crossed. im just waiting for a reply.

Jghl1234 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:45:38

I work in a dog grooming salon and some times we have people who can't look after their dogs any more so we ask other customers l. We have pretty loyal customers who we interact with a lot so we no some who want dogs so we regime pretty quickly.try your local dog groomers xx

ghostspirit Sat 23-Jul-16 23:50:51

jgh thats a good idea. and probably better than posting him up somewhere. because i dont think people who are dodgy would be in a grooming salon. thank you.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 23-Jul-16 23:52:37

try the dogs trust or cinamon trust they may be able to sort a foster home. i hope things get better for you soon x

Jghl1234 Sat 23-Jul-16 23:56:17

No problem glad to help xxx

ghostspirit Sun 24-Jul-16 00:02:44

thank you. yeah i will contact all that people are advising. im waiting for an email back from staffy rescue. it might be better to do that rather than advertise him as im really scared he could end up in the wrong hands. although im quite sure the dog grooming one is probably safe.

GuruDal Sun 24-Jul-16 09:07:51

Our local NAWT (national animal welfare trust) always have older & younger dogs up for adoption, all sorts of breeds. They will be the best bet, as will Dogs Trust, Cinnamon Trust etc.

Good luck OP & I hope he finds the perfect home. Just give them a ring & they will help you with the next steps.

GuruDal Sun 24-Jul-16 09:09:26

www.nawt.org.uk/

Theres one in Watford.

GuruDal Sun 24-Jul-16 09:13:54

www.battersea.org.uk/dogs/giving-your-dog-adoption

Battersea offer rehoming also.

AyeAmarok Sun 24-Jul-16 09:17:09

Can't your DP take the dog for a little while?

What are you going to do with the cats?

KindDogsTail Sun 24-Jul-16 09:22:26

I think the Blue Cross are very careful with re-homing. I am very very sorry you have to give up your dog flowers.

fuckyoucanceryoucuntingknob Sun 24-Jul-16 09:24:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ghostspirit Sun 24-Jul-16 09:26:38

I have a friend who may want cats. If not I will have to contact cat rescue place. I think they will be easy to rehome.

I really want to stay away from battersea.

AyeAmarok Sun 24-Jul-16 09:30:30

Poor cats, you only just got them! Cats don't like all this upheaval.

ghostspirit Sun 24-Jul-16 09:31:48

knob yes there is. But does not change the fact that I'm going to be homeless and need to sort out the cats/dogs

ghostspirit Sun 24-Jul-16 09:34:26

aye I know i do understand and I feel really bad about it. I would never have got them if I knew this was happening. I'm hoping they can go to the person I know because she sees them everyday. So they least know who she is

fuckyoucanceryoucuntingknob Sun 24-Jul-16 09:35:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now