Getting an adult male dog "done"

(13 Posts)
concertplayer Wed 20-Jul-16 20:42:42

People keep telling us he will bark less and pay less attention
to females if we do (kept mostly on lead) this to our gorgeous
little dog .
We do not want to do unless it really works

villainousbroodmare Wed 20-Jul-16 20:45:14

He will definitely pay less attention to bitches.
He might bark less if his barking is related to sexual behaviour - e.g frustrated barking of entire male locked away from bitch in heat.

babyblackbird Wed 20-Jul-16 21:39:13

How much attention does he pay to bitches ? I have an entire male who came across a bitch in heat ( she was on lead and so was he) and he couldn't have been less interested much to my total surprise

. Bitch is owned by someone I know who lives down the road and she is a puppy and owner was wondering how she would know when she would have her first season, and I had said I would probably know before her by my entire dogs behaviour ! Apparently I was very wrong !

babyblackbird Wed 20-Jul-16 21:39:47

How much attention does he pay to bitches ? I have an entire male who came across a bitch in heat ( she was on lead and so was he) and he couldn't have been less interested much to my total surprise

. Bitch is owned by someone I know who lives down the road and she is a puppy and owner was wondering how she would know when she would have her first season, and I had said I would probably know before her by my entire dogs behaviour ! Apparently I was very wrong !

babyblackbird Wed 20-Jul-16 21:40:30

Whoops sorry told me first one hadn't posted !

concertplayer Wed 20-Jul-16 22:17:20

Babyblackbird - it depends There is one down the road in season and
it is a struggle to get him away. He does try humping in the park (teehee)
but not too much.
Unfortunately he is becoming more aggressive to males.
A few months ago he was lovely and playful with all dogs but at 18
months he can be quite growlie with males.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 21-Jul-16 07:52:03

Had to pick myself up of the floor laughing with the idea that it will stop him barking. In truth if he is a nervous dog castrating my actually make him bark more. I would a behaviourist to observe him with other entire male dogs as there as lots and lots of evidence that if his aggression is nervous with other dogs castration will make him much, much worse.

DorynownotFloundering Thu 21-Jul-16 08:00:30

Personally if you are not going to breed from him I think it's irresponsible NOT to castrate.

As PP have said it may or may not help the behaviour issues but that should be tackled separately.

I am aware this is not a popular view but with so many unwanted pups around IMHO it's comment sense.

babyblackbird Thu 21-Jul-16 08:29:18

Completely agree with Lonecat which is why my dog** is still entire as he has been attacked a few times and can be quite nervous around other dogs.

It is something I keep under constant review as if he becomes much more confident or starts to show aggression to other males I may consider having him done but right now I have no reason , particularly given his lack of interest in bitches.

JaneA1 Thu 21-Jul-16 10:04:00

I'd say that barking is not strictly related to sexual behavior, so this one sounds like a myth to me. However, if he is exhibiting this because you have a nearby female dog, then yes, 'doing' might reduce this anxiety. Other than that, I don't think it is necessary.

concertplayer Thu 21-Jul-16 11:07:54

There are so many ways around this. He is 100% unable to run away
and there are quiet places to walk him. one of the walks is a largish area
with inside gates He can run around there and other owners just do not
come in as they all appreciate we can take turns to use it.
Having read up about it there are some health issues to consider.
Doing it when they are very young is a nono. It can cause serious health
problems it really can. Also it can lead to dogs putting on weight causing probs later in life.
On the other hand -sorry but this is a bit distasteful- some dogs can get "things" round the back passage which are difficult to treat and this op really helps.
You need a vet you can trust -one that is not just out for the money.
It is a MAJOR operation so needs full attention from someone for
a while afterwards

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 21-Jul-16 11:13:00

We had our dog castrated at 5. Because of aggression towards other dogs.

Just a few points:-

His behaviour has changed slightly for the better.

He doesn't seem to is them them at all!

Recovery from op was very quick. Hours I would say.

I wouldn't say its a major operation in any way. Slight risk with a general anaesthetic I suppose.

Floralnomad Thu 21-Jul-16 11:21:29

Its not a major operation , my dog was done at 10/11 months and he was back to normal in a couple of days . The putting on weight issue is easily sorted by the owner taking responsibility to feed correctly and exercise appropriately .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now