Possibly a stupid question - dog poo storage

(17 Posts)
BigDamnNCFail Mon 18-Jul-16 08:38:01

This seems like such a stupid question but what do you do with dog poo from your garden?

Literally, from what you use to pick it up through to disposal.

We used to live in Scotland and I'd use a dog poo scoop thing to collect poo into a carrier bag and then stick that in our wheelie bin. It rarely got hot enough for there to be a smell from the bin before it was emptied.

Now we live in London and we don't have a wheelie bin. I've been collecting the poo into poop bags/nappy sacks and just sort of collecting them in a corner of the garden then putting them into the kitchen bin bag when I empty that but with the heat right now it's pretty smelly. envy <-- not envy

Also, all those bags are not exactly great for the environment.

I know when I was little my parents had 'dog toilets' at the end of the garden (things you sink into the ground with a lid to put the poo down) but we're renting so that's not an option.

I put the cat poo from the litter tray down the loo but that would be a lot of running back and forth up and down the stairs for the dog poo (we have a GSD and husky) and sometimes if I haven't noticed the poo immediately there are insects on it, which I don't really want to track through the house.

Am I missing something obvious??

EmmapausalBitch Mon 18-Jul-16 08:41:16

I pick it up in poo bags, then take it out and dispose of it in a public bins when I walk the dogs.

situatedknowledge Mon 18-Jul-16 08:41:28

Also live in London but do have a wheelie bin. I have a small bin outside that I put all the bagged up poo in and then once a week add it to the wheelie bin just before it goes out. It does stink though.
Do you have street poo bin anywhere nearby?

ggirl Mon 18-Jul-16 08:49:14

pick up daily and flush down the loo

EliCon Mon 18-Jul-16 10:29:35

I am flushing it too. Seems too much hassle otherwise.

woahthehokeycokey Mon 18-Jul-16 10:35:20

We have a separate black bin in the corner of the garden behind the shed that has a clippable lid, bin bag in the bin, each poo individually picked up in a nappy bag and tied and we chuck the whole thing in the wheelie bin every couple of weeks. It never ever smells either?! We did used to have a doggy loo buried in a flower bed but you had to fill it with water, poke it with a stick and chuck biodegradable liquid down there too. It was a faff and kept getting blocked up. Gross.

BigDamnNCFail Mon 18-Jul-16 10:36:56

Haven't noticed any dog poo bins close by (I know there's one to the entrance of the field where DH runs the dogs but that's a bit of a trek. Thing is, we've got two young autistic children who tend not to like wearing clothes so going out to dispose of the poo would involve a LOT of hassle with getting them dressed (and I'm potty training DS2 right now) and out etc.

Hmm...so some people do flush dog poo. Do you ever end up with creepy crawlies down your loo? What do you use to pick up the poo? With the cat poo I use a bit of kitchen roll or loo roll so it gets flushed as well but the dog poo is a lot bigger!

Sorry for all the questions. I'd just love to see what everyone else does so I can figure out which is the best solution for us.

BigDamnNCFail Mon 18-Jul-16 10:40:27

A separate bin is an option, too. Probably easier than using the loo, though not as environmentally friendly.

Great to have options.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 18-Jul-16 10:42:15

Contact the local council, most offer a service to dispose of pet waste. They'll give you thick bags that don't leak and when full you take them to the local waste recycling place. Some incinerate it, others add chemicals to it to make it safe to use as manure.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Mon 18-Jul-16 10:48:02

I use a coal shovel to pick it up and I do the (big) garden every couple of days and put any poo in a carrier bag and then into the wheelie bin. If you don't have a wheelie bin can you buy a dustbin and put a refuse sack in there, then put carrier bags/nappy bags full of poo in there till bin day?

My ex neighbour used to take the manhole cover in his yard up and straight into the sewer. I think putting it in the toilet is a bit grim but accept that might not be very logical when human poo goes in it.

BigDamnNCFail Mon 18-Jul-16 10:51:55

I've never heard of such services, Imnot. Really good to know.

I suspect I won't, though. Partly because I have huge anxiety around contacting people about things like that and partly because I don't drive so I'd have to carry a massive bag of poo with me with a double buggy for miles to get to a recycling centre.

Bin in the garden does seem the most convenient option.

AgentProvocateur Mon 18-Jul-16 10:54:46

Eugh, I don't know why I clicked on this thread as I haven't got a dog, but it's making me feel quite sick! grin

ggirl Mon 18-Jul-16 16:35:45

I have a small dog who does small hard poos (raw fed) so pick up with loo roll and the loo is by the back door .

I don't see any difference between that and our poo tbh and it doesn't sit in the toilet to fester ..gets flushed straight away.

BigDamnNCFail Mon 18-Jul-16 17:02:58

AP, sorry. Hope you weren't eating!

ggirl, I guess that's much like me putting the cat poo down the loo (small, hard poos) so that makes sense. A bit more tricky with my GSD and husky. Both seem to have quite delicate stomachs but I have found a food that seems to agree with them and keep their poo firm but it's still not hard and definitely not small! grin Don't think I could manage a raw food diet for them (I'm vegetarian).

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 18-Jul-16 19:07:26

Just wanted to say don't flush kitchen roll down the loo - we've just had to pay a fortune to get our drain unblocked as unbeknownst to me ds2 was happily flushing cat poo wrapped in kitchen roll ...

I bag dog poo and put it in a bin round the side of the house and either put it in one of the main bin bags on bin day or take it out with me to put in a poo bin on a walk.... Surely if you've got a GSD and a husky you must be taking them out for walks whether or not your DC want to get dressed so don't understand why the outside poo bin isn't an option

LaGattaNera Mon 18-Jul-16 19:11:58

Where I live, bagged dog poo can go in any public bin, there are no special dog poo bins so they get dropped off daily when I take him out. My wheelie bin is only collected fortnightly so only put it in there on day of collection or perhaps day before.

ggirl Mon 18-Jul-16 19:14:31

yup poo in any bin here as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now