Crate training

(8 Posts)
branofthemist Wed 13-Jul-16 07:09:59

Good morning

I pick up my new cocker spaniel pup on Friday. (Yes I researched the breeder and we are experienced cocker owners).

I was wondering if anyone had advice on crate training. When we got my last pup, we didn't do it. Mum has since got a dog and swears by crate training.

Can anyone direct me to some good links on it or share advice? I read the rspca link that says staying in a crate overnight needs to be worked up to. Which is fine. But then I saw in another thread here that some people have used their crate straight away.

I wondering where the safest place for the puppy to sleep if she can't go in the crate straight away. My downstairs is open plan and I am concerned she could hurt herself when if left over night with the run of downstairs.

Many thanks

LilCamper Wed 13-Jul-16 08:12:40

google 'Crate Games' by Susan Garrett.

branofthemist Wed 13-Jul-16 08:57:53

Thank you, will do that now! smile

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 13-Jul-16 13:18:23

What did the breeder do?

ImBrian Wed 13-Jul-16 21:07:57

Mine have both stayed in their crates over night from day one. Pup one cried for a couple of minutes and pup two never cried burgers up for a wee at 4 am (11&9 weeks old when I got them).

ImBrian Wed 13-Jul-16 21:08:40

But gets up not burgers!

branofthemist Sat 16-Jul-16 13:03:34

It was all fine. Breeder used crates but I thought it would be different when she was on her own.

Put her in with a cuddly toy and she curled up with it. Cried for a few minutes and that was it. Then cried about 1am, I found dh on the floor next to the crate, asleep. Had to get up and take her out a couple of times , but all in all an easy night.

She crys if you take the cuddly toy out of the crate. So it's staying exactly there. grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 16-Jul-16 13:26:44

Well that doesn't sound too bad. Well done. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now