Time to neuter?

(5 Posts)
Dieu Sat 09-Jul-16 20:10:45

Hello all. My lovely Shih Tzu boy is 14 months old. Today his behaviour has been a bit different to his normal wonderful self. My 10 year old got a trampoline for her birthday last weekend, and he is obsessed with going on it. If the kids are on it, he wants to be there too. Fine (even if he does get too overexcited on it and end up barking) … but today he nipped my daughter on the leg while she was on it. It was a sore one for her. He has also attempted to hump same child a few times today, and has growled at her too. This is completely out of character. He's also panting a fair bit this evening.
We're going on holiday tomorrow; could it be that he senses a change is afoot (he will be looked after in our home by family members)? Hormones? Or both? I also feel a bit bad because I have been rushing around like a blue arsed fly trying to get everything ready for tomorrow's departure (single mum of 3, so no-one else to help really), and it could also be that he's feeling slightly neglected … although he's never actually on his own.
Any thoughts for this first-timer?
Thank you!

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 09-Jul-16 22:33:01

Please don't allow him on the trampoline dogs regularly get severely injured on trampolines and being a long backed dog with short legs he will be susceptible to a back injury.
I think from the sounds of things children and dog need to be carefully supervised when playing together to prevent further nipping. But nipping is behavioural and in generally neutering does not fix behaviours only training can do this.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 09-Jul-16 23:09:46

Sounds like he got a bit overexcited. Fourteen months is still young and he probably got a big carried away with his teenage hormones and all the excitement.

Dieu Sun 10-Jul-16 01:11:09

Thanks to you both. Yes, I think you must be right Lonecat. They are very gentle on the trampoline with him on it generally, but he does fuss so if they go on it without him! The nipping today was a first, and hopefully not to be repeated. My question about neutering was more in relation to the humping, but I believe that can be done in excitement rather than sexually.

insan1tyscartching Sun 10-Jul-16 10:40:12

Eric isn't neutered and he doesn't hump now but he did when he had a particular cushion hmm His humping stopped the day I binned the cushion. I wonder whether his humping today was because of the excitement on the trampoline?It might not happen again if he's not in the same situation again.
FWIW Eric met his first bitch in season yesterday (in Pets at Home hmm ) and whilst the bitch was giving him the "come on" dance and two other dogs in there were chomping at the bit Eric was more interested in checking out the squeaky toys and pic and mix dog treats tbh grin I was pretty proud of him tbh because all the other dog's owners were looking harassed and Eric was playing Mr Cool although that might have been a ploy to get the toy and chocolate rolls that I obviously had to buy of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now