Dog pees on bed! Help

(22 Posts)
frillyflower Sat 02-Jul-16 10:49:21

Any advice welcomed. 9 month puppy, housetrained. This morning dog gets let out several times, has had several wees and a poo. Me getting ready to take him for walk. Slightly later today as guests coming so putting on washing etc. Go into spare room to strip bed and find dog has peed on the bed - in the middle, under the duvet. Why why why?!
He must have done it while I was in the bathroom having a shower.
He's had the odd accident sure but he's never done anything like this before - except the last time we had a guest he nipped in there and peed up the skirting board.
Do j have to start toilet training again?

LilCamper Sat 02-Jul-16 12:58:10

Vet check to rule out any medical issues then keep the spare room door shut.

frillyflower Sat 02-Jul-16 13:07:39

He's just had a vet check and in tip top health.
Not allowed upstairs any more.
I can understand the odd accident if not let out in time or too busy playing. I can't understand why he'd actually jump on a bed and pee in it when he'd just had a pee outside.

Springermum1350 Sat 02-Jul-16 13:19:02

I remember my springer was toilet trained, we had no accidents for months. One day he stood right next to me and went in the carpet. He was about that age.

LilCamper Sat 02-Jul-16 13:23:48

Possibly because he knows guests are coming by you prepping the room and he feels a bit anxious/excited about it.

frillyflower Sat 02-Jul-16 13:38:13

He's a Jack Russell.
Maybe it's an age thing springermum. Or maybe he hates visitors as you say lilcamper. The last example of peeing in the spare room happened when my husbands cousin was staying and he nipped in and did it when none of us were watching.
Dirty protest?!

obviouslymarvellous Sat 02-Jul-16 13:51:02

Is it a male or female has it been spayed or neutered??? Have you any other pets like a cat etc... Our dog did this (we have a cat) he doesn't now we had him neutered and he stopped immediately winkhe was 16 months when we had him done.

frillyflower Sat 02-Jul-16 14:22:50

Male and been neutered. No other pets here.
He has no excuse!

Wyldfyre Sat 02-Jul-16 16:23:16

Most dogs regress for a bit around that age. Just go back to basics.

Also do you tell him off when he goes inside?

frillyflower Sat 02-Jul-16 18:08:31

Well I do tell him off if I see him pissing or worse inside, but if the deed has been done I've read that you must not tell them off as they will have no recollection of doing it and will just think you are a nasty person shouting for no reason.
Is that BS?

TrionicLettuce Sat 02-Jul-16 18:13:40

It's not wise to tell them off even if you catch them in the act. They won't make the association that you're only angry because they've gone inside so are more likely to sneak off elsewhere and try to avoid going in front of you at all, inside or out.

As Wyldfyre says, go right back to basics. Treat him like a puppy, take him out often, praise like mad when he goes outside and do everything you can to avoid giving him the opportunity to go inside.

DWhippet2 started weeing inside in one particular room at a similar age. Frequent trips outside, praise when he went out there and not letting him out of sight sorted it really quickly.

Wyldfyre Sat 02-Jul-16 18:14:11

Telling him off when you see him doing it can cause dogs to hide when the go indoors - which sound like has happened in this case

rembrandtsrockchick Sat 02-Jul-16 18:38:41

My vet told me it's a sign of anxiety. Apparently they pee on the bed as that is where the pack sleeps and they are trying to mark their position as part of the pack.

Wyldfyre Sat 02-Jul-16 18:45:53

Rembrand pack theory has been debunked (including by L David Mech, the guy who can up with it). Dogs do not see humans as "pack members/leaders"

rembrandtsrockchick Sat 02-Jul-16 18:52:21

OK...substitute "family" for "pack". He explained that anxious dogs tend to pee where they feel the "centre" of the family is located. This certainly applied to our lovely girl who suffered somewhat from separation anxiety. She was a rescue dog and had many anxieties which took a while to settle down.

frillyflower Sat 02-Jul-16 22:59:31

But we don't sleep in the spare room,we only ever put guests there

Dieu Sun 03-Jul-16 16:51:55

I remember watching a doggy programme with a reputable trainer (whose name eludes me), and there was a male Husky who peed on the owners' bed. Trainer said it was a sign of dominance, and not having much respect for owners' authority.
Mind you, having reread the thread it's not even your bed he's peeing in, so I really don't know!

Wyldfyre Sun 03-Jul-16 17:03:37

Dieu no trainer who advocates dominance theory is reputable. Like pack theory it has been debunked.

frillyflower Sun 03-Jul-16 20:47:10

He really isn't anxious! Never had anything but mild telling off. Not in slightest bit nervous of us. Just a mischievous little Jack.
Think I have to do what Lettuce says and go back to basics. Also he's lost upstairs privileges.

Dieu Mon 04-Jul-16 00:56:46

Hmm, interesting. The name came back to me; it was Victoria Stilwell.

Wyldfyre Mon 04-Jul-16 06:17:19

You mean the Victoria Stillwell who has a section dedicated to the debunking of dominance on her website?

positively.com/dog-training/myths-truths/the-truth-about-dominance/

TrionicLettuce Mon 04-Jul-16 12:03:29

VS did used to train in accordance with the whole dominance myth but to her credit she has paid attention to the science, admitted she was wrong and changed her whole way of working.

Unfortunately I don't think she has any say in which of her shows are re-run on TV meaning the old dominance ones still pop up even though she's not trained that way for years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now