Going to meet this puppy (pic included) tomorrow - eek! I can't sleep!

(14 Posts)
AnnieAm Wed 29-Jun-16 22:17:29

Trying not to get too excited but we are going to meet this little girl tomorrow! Trying not to get too carried away before we meet her and see parents etc but she is so lovely. Had a good chat to the breeder tonight. Any tips on what I should look out for or ask?

BestIsWest Wed 29-Jun-16 22:18:52

Is she a Mini schnauzer? Make sure eye test have been done on both parents and her.

AnnieAm Wed 29-Jun-16 22:22:37

Yes mini schnauzer crossed with miniature poodle. Both parents eye tested. Will ask about her when I see her thanks.

TrionicLettuce Wed 29-Jun-16 23:06:35

Both parents should be fully health tested, not just eyes. You can see lists of what tests are necessary here for the miniature schnauzer and here for the miniature poodle.

Obviously hips and eyes are the most important but I would expect any breeder worth their salt to have done all relevant tests, including DNA tests where the conditions aren't common between whatever two breeds they're crossing. Whilst it may be impossible to produce affected puppies they can still produce carriers and they really should be aware if this is a possibility or not by fully testing both parents.

There are some health conditions shared by both breeds which currently can't be tested for so the breeder should have done their research and be as confident as possible that none of these (or any others) are lurking in the lines of the dogs they have chosen to breed from. Again, they should be happy to chat about this with you.

Expect to be thoroughly grilled by the breeder. They should be asking things like what your lifestyle and living situation is like, why you picked that particular cross, why you picked them as a breeder, what you feel you can offer a dog, etc. It shouldn't be a case of being able to see the pups and either leave a deposit or walk away with one with few questions being asked.

I would normally ask a breeder why they chose to breed from their bitch, why they chose that particular stud dog, what they were hoping to produce with that mating, what their long term breeding goals are. I also want to know that a breeder will offer lifetime support, including either taking a dog back (or at the very least helping to find a suitable home) if for any reason I was unable to keep them any more.

The litter and mum should be inside with the family, not kept outside in a kennel, and there should be evidence (such as a whelping box set up) that this is how they're kept all the time and they haven't just been brought inside to meet a prospective buyer. The breeder should be actively raising the puppies, not just leaving mum to get on with it herself. There's all sorts a breeder can be doing before the puppies go to their new homes which helps maximise their chances of going on to be well rounded adult dogs. This site breaks down the developmental stages of puppies and lists what tasks that should ideally be done during each.

Finally ask about feeding (what they're feeding, how much, etc.), worming schedules and what their plans are for vaccinations. Some breeders will get the first jab done but there can be issues with completing the course if your chosen vet uses a different brand of vaccine. Ideally if they've had the first jab done they will have a voucher for the second at their own vets so there's no issue or the pup won't have had the first one done yet. The breeder should also have plans to get the puppies microchipped prior to them going to their new homes, this is now a legal requirement.

Wolfiefan Wed 29-Jun-16 23:08:53

What checks have you done that this isn't a factory farmed pup? So called designer crosses worry me sorry.

AnnieAm Wed 29-Jun-16 23:18:51

The breeder owns both parents as family pets and they will be available to see with the puppies. She bred a litter last year ands other this year, obviously I will find out more upon meeting.

RebuildingMyself Wed 29-Jun-16 23:19:13

Trionic makes excellent points.

I'd like to add that this is a "designer dog", so you need to be extremely cautious that the puppy isn't from a puppy farm (puppy farms love designer dogs).

The dealers who sell pups from puppy farms, not only pretend that pups were born in their family home but will now often go as far as having a "show bitch" (a bitch that is never bred from and is there to be passed off as mum whilst looking pretty and healthy). Meanwhile the real mum will still be at the puppy farm, probably in terrible condition and living in even worse conditions.

If parents are pedigree's you can double check their health tests on the Kennel Club website.

RebuildingMyself Wed 29-Jun-16 23:22:34

Also a bitch should not be bred from more than 4 times in her life (harder to be sure of with non KC registered pups). She should have at least 1 season between each pregnancy (I.e. never bred from more than every other season - season frequency depends on breed)

AnnieAm Wed 29-Jun-16 23:25:15

Thanks for all the guidance and advice. Much appreciated.

RebuildingMyself Wed 29-Jun-16 23:29:21

breeder owns both parents as family pets and they will be available to see with the puppies.

A KC Assured Breeder, who was advising me on looking at other breeders (she wouldn't home to me because my DC are under 5yrs) said if someone claims to own both mom and dad and don't have a kennel outside for dad - there is a really high probability they are either not the real parents or the bitch is being bred from every season. She also said that a dog and bitch in the same house - even if the owner claims they are kept separately, get very agitated when the bitch comes in season and a few rooms between them isn't enough to stop that.

TrionicLettuce Wed 29-Jun-16 23:40:33

If this is her second litter this year does she have multiple bitches? Three litters in two years would make me slightly wary, though it's not necessarily a huge red flag depending on the situation. The two litters this year definitely should not be from the same bitch. I'd also check if she's planning more litters already. Alarm bells would definitely start ringing if she's already planning more litters this year/next year.

Further to Rebuilding's points about puppy farmers using people in nice houses as a front to sell their pups, it's worth watching this episode of Panorama. It is heavy going but it shows just what lengths puppy farmers/dealers will go to in order to fool prospective buyers.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 29-Jun-16 23:44:05

It is very unusual to own both parents as family pets, and if it's not a front for a puppy farm, I would assume they weren't serious breeders.

I would go with a very hard, cynical, sceptical head on - DO NOT buy a puppy that you feel sorry for

LadyLayLay Wed 29-Jun-16 23:51:22

I also feel a bit hmm when they own both parents and claim they're family pets. Just doesn't seem very "KC" and makes me think they just bought a dog and bitch and decided "Ah sod it, let's have some puppies".

MargotLovedTom Wed 29-Jun-16 23:57:44

Echoing what others say. Are they really family pets or more like money making machines? I'd say they're definitely not serious breeders because they're not doing it to refine their lines or bring a pup on for showing or working - a schnoodle, as you know, is not a pedigree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now