beware of dog sign

(13 Posts)
ilovesprouts Mon 27-Jun-16 17:36:03

Is it true you can't have a beware of a dog sign on the gates etc.just had a little boy tapping at my back door he'd climbed over my six foot fence to get something that had gone over my fence.I said to him please don't climb over my dog could of been out and she could of gone for him what signs do you have on your gates etc.

Floralnomad Mon 27-Jun-16 17:42:35

Many years ago ( 40ish) our family dog bit the milkman when he put his hand through the gate to see if he could stop her barking by making friends - stupid man , and the postman who was a pt RSPCA inspector told my mum not to put a sign up as it is admitting you have a dangerous dog - not sure how true that is nowadays . There are definitely some houses round here that have the signs . Personally in your case I'd put a No Tresspassing sign up .

Shriek Mon 27-Jun-16 21:18:50

according to police its viewed as a threat which is illegal.

.. but it is a reasonable thing to do i believe! No dog is going to be happy for strangers to enter their territory and do so at their own risk...

sixinabed Mon 27-Jun-16 21:36:17

People certainly have them around here and as I do leaflet dropping sometimes. I'd rather know in advance if a dog is resident as even the nicest don't take kindly to strangers coming into their territory suddenly.

If 'beware of the dog' is technically a threat in the eyes of the police, could you have one saying 'a dog lives here - please do not enter uninvited' or some such which is clearly just information? But I don't think that it's top of the police's priority list - at least I bloody hope it's not grin

Ilovewillow Mon 27-Jun-16 21:39:49

Could you not have a dog live here sign? I'm sure I've seen those near me!

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Mon 27-Jun-16 21:41:14

My big old boy used to hide silently by the shed and then once his unsuspecting prey the person had entered the garden and walked towards to the house he would appear, again silently, behind them. Between them and the only escape route. The he would stand perfectly still and look at them until I came to the door to tell him it was OK. It was hilarious! In the end I took pity on people and got a 'Dogs running free' sign for the gate. I figured that would at least give people a chance!

Bubble2bubble Mon 27-Jun-16 21:51:50

"dogs running free" seems to be the more usual sign around here, although some advise against it as it can mark your house as a target for dog theft sad

Monkeyfeet12 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:56:24

I've got the sign, but no dog. Burglar deterrent. Worked so far!

Shriek Mon 27-Jun-16 22:15:59

advisory sign to 'secure gate - dog loose on property' ??

saying dogs are running free is one thats growing in popularity now and not offering any threat, only that perceived by the reader, but yeah... dog thieves bastards

Bubble2bubble Mon 27-Jun-16 22:49:34

I don't actually need a sign, given that if anyone as much as looks at our house Ddog3 lets me and the entire neighbourhood know, bless him. smile

Never cease to be amazed at the number of delivery men I catch trying to make friends with a huge barking dog through the bars of the gate. Weird.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Mon 27-Jun-16 22:53:23

'My big old boy used to hide silently by the shed and then once his unsuspecting prey the person had entered the garden and walked towards to the house he would appear, again silently, behind them. Between them and the only escape route.'

gringringrin

Shriek Tue 28-Jun-16 19:22:49

i don't think its funny terrifying people who come to call!!

how is that funny?

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Wed 29-Jun-16 10:18:52

He didn't do anything other than look at them! If he were in any way dangerous he wouldn't have been out in the front. We live in the middle of nowhere with next to no doorsteppers so most people knew him anyway. If he was growling or snarling or showing any aggression, I would agree with you. Anyway, it was funny! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now