Doggy people - hold my hand please.

(15 Posts)
citychick Tue 21-Jun-16 03:50:47

Spoke with DM last night in UK. I live in Asia.

They have a 12 yr old black and white springer spaniel. She is the most divine creature. I really, really love her. She is a super dog.

DM and DF have planned a week away for a year. It's a big deal and they are unlikely to cancel it.
DDog is going down hill and DM is taking her to the vet today (Tuesday) to see how long he/she reckons she's got.
They feel she is too poorly to go to the person who will be looking after her and other DDog.
She is almost deaf, quite blind and her back legs are going a bit. She sleeps a lot, but she's still wagging her tail.

I am terrified DM is going to have her put down when she could still have a bit of time left. And as my family and I arrive in the UK for the whole summer this weekend, I was going to collect the dogs as we arrive home before DM and DF get back. Selfishly I want to collect 2 dogs, not 1.

I know she belongs to my parents, but I am gutted they may not keep her around for the last few days til I get home and then we can make the decision together. I REALLY want to be home for that, not 4000 miles away. I also do not want to hear my mum blame my dad for putting pressure on her to do this so they could go away, I have a feeling I will never hear the end of it.

FWIW I had to have our own family DDog put down 18 months ago, so I do understand about quality of life. I spoke about that on this board, under a different username (had to change due to email thingy).

I guess it's just supremely bad timing isn't it? Poorly dog, week away and our homecoming all within days...
I will speak to DM later today. I am just looking for some hands to hold. I absolutely HATE being so far away when this sort of thing happens.

And thanks for letting me vent a bit. sad
Here is a photo of her at Easter. (she's camera shy).

xxxx

citychick Wed 22-Jun-16 10:18:08

anyone?

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Wed 22-Jun-16 10:27:18

Aw, she's lovely.
I'm so sorry. It's so hideous. I hope you're able to see her and give her lots of fuss and cuddles. It does seem a bit weird not to hang out for a few more days.

Has the friend said a definite no to having her?

citychick Wed 22-Jun-16 11:04:40

hello. thanks for your post
thats a good point. i didn't ask DM about whether he was able to take her due to her condition.

haven't yet spoken to family and they will have gone on their break now
fingers crossed no news is good news

KoalaDownUnder Wed 22-Jun-16 11:11:32

Oh, I am so sorry. She is so beautiful! That brought tears to my eyes.

I know this might be unfair, but can you beg your mum and dad to leave her with the dog sitter until you get there? Offer to pay extra, maybe? That's that I would do. As long ad she is not in actual pain, I think that's okay.

Big hugs. flowers

KoalaDownUnder Wed 22-Jun-16 11:12:18

Oh sorry, didn't see that they have already gone.

I hope she is still around. sad x

citychick Thu 23-Jun-16 05:37:06

so do i! thanks for your post
xxx

orangebird69 Thu 23-Jun-16 05:41:05

I understand your sadness but you're being incredibly selfish. If she needs putting out of her misery, 'just a few more days' may be horrendous for the dog. Better to put her our of her misery a day too early than a day too late.

KoalaDownUnder Thu 23-Jun-16 07:39:55

She's not being 'incredibly selfish' at all.

The dog is lying around sleeping and wagging it's tail, not whining in pain, ffs. Where is the indication there that its life is 'horrendous'?

orangebird69 Thu 23-Jun-16 07:55:06

The op said the dog is going downhill. She wants her DM to not take the dog to the vet now and wait so she can be involved in any decisions that may be made. What if the dog does need attention before hand? The op herself said she was being selfish. And I concur.

orangebird69 Thu 23-Jun-16 07:56:47

To add, just because a dog wags it's tail it doesn't mean it's not suffering. FFS.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 23-Jun-16 08:09:34

I'm sorry but you have to accept your mum's decision here. You wouldn't want the dog to suffer just so that you get to see her. It doesn't sound like she has much quality of life tbh. At least take veterinary advice.

sad for you but we have a responsibility to our pets to not let them suffer.

You'll feel terriible if the dog is in abad way when you arrive just because you wanted to say goodbye.

citychick Thu 23-Jun-16 12:53:04

thank you all for your posts
you make some fair points. others i disagree with.

i have no real idea of the dog's true condition as i am not in the UK, but my parents are long time dog owners and have very.close contact with the vet.
i haven't spoken with my family as they have gone away but i do know that my parents would never let any animal suffer.

my worry was that DM may or may not have been a bit hasty due to them going away

as i said its unfortunate timing and i know that DM would have waited for us to get home to say our goodbyes unless it was urgent.

when i spoke with her last she really was not sure what to do and was taking DDog to vet to make a decision together and i totally respect that

when i go to collect DDog or dogs on Saturday i will find out. she has not phoned me to say either way and i will not push her because she will be upset enough.

thanks for your posts, much appreciated.

xxxx

TheoriginalLEM Thu 23-Jun-16 14:17:12

I understand your position.

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Wed 29-Jun-16 22:56:39

What was the outcome?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now