Harness recomendations

(15 Posts)
ImBrian Sun 19-Jun-16 15:21:25

I need to get a harness for my mutt before he garrottes himself! He's fairly good on the lead but when we're walking with other dogs he gets excited and pulls. We're working on it but I don't want to cause him a at damage. He's an 8kg shihtzu/terrier/sausage dog/schnauzer/toe rag and likes to swim and roll in dead things/poo so washable and hard wearing is a must. I don't mind spending a bit on something that will last and fit well. Any recomendations?

Wyldfyre Sun 19-Jun-16 15:29:23

A Perfect Fit. They are in three bits so I'd one part breaks you only need to replace that bit. It's fleece so totally washable

TrionicLettuce Sun 19-Jun-16 15:30:44

Indi-Dog do fantastic harnesses, I can't recommend them highly enough.

They're great quality and all made to measure so the fit is perfect. You can just bung them in the washer and they come out looking brand new.

My lot have had theirs about 18 months and they still look great, despite the fact they roll in anything noxious they happen to come across hmm

Claraoswald36 Mon 20-Jun-16 15:02:47

We use a Halti no pull harness - the one with the draw cord. It's only about £14. It helps a lot with the pulling

SnoopDoggyDogg Mon 20-Jun-16 15:04:48

Mine have Cosydog ones with the reflective strips. Really easy to put on and take off and been washed loads of times and come out looking like new.

CalmItKermitt Mon 20-Jun-16 15:09:17

I use a Mekuti harness. I hear good things about the Perfect Fit too but ultimately the PF was dearer.

Highly recommend the front clip harnesses but ateotd nothing (that isn't aversive) will work miracles - you still need training 🙂

Slingcrump Mon 20-Jun-16 15:14:33

Without question - and I studied this at huge length when we adopted our lovely mutt - I recommend The Perfect Fit Dog Harness (found the recommendation on Mnset as it happens!)

See info here

It is so good precisely because of the precise fit! The harness is made up of three parts and you can basically choose all of those parts in different sizes to suit your individual dog ie I was able to find a very good fit for my lh dashund who is a wierd combo of being broad at the shoulder but narrow (and short) at the chest.

You need to study all the info thoroughly because it takes a bit of time to work out the best combination for your dog, but if you are in difficulty, the customer service is excellent.

I've bought two fleece harnesses and (long!) lead sets from them (one for day and one for with a high viz stripe for night- in fleece - and I'm really happy with them. My dog is low to the ground so the harness gets v muddy but it washes really well. And like your dog, he pulls quite a bit, but the harness helps and is v robust.

Good luck with it!

(I'm not an employee of theirs btw I promise - just a very happy customer - they let me trial about three different sizing combos (without extra charge) before I decided on the right one ! Hence passing on this recommendation now!)

Slingcrump Mon 20-Jun-16 15:16:50

When I say 'without extra charge' I meant "without charging at all"!

Btw, your dog sounds amazing ImBrian - what an extraordinary combination of breeds - sausage dogs and schnauzers are my favourites grin

Bubble2bubble Mon 20-Jun-16 17:11:20

He sounds like a tricky size so I would definitely say Perfect Fit as well. Even if it takes you a few tries to get it right it will be worth it. ( also do not work for Perfect Fit harnesses but have found them amazing with odd shaped, wriggly Houdini type dogs )

ImBrian Mon 20-Jun-16 18:27:01

I've messaged perfect fit to get their size recomendations so think I'll give them a try. Thanks

psicat Mon 20-Jun-16 20:12:08

Another vote for Pf, their customer service alone is amazing. Have had ones for several odd shape dogs and all have fitted, well, perfectly!

MozzieRocks Tue 21-Jun-16 21:01:06

Trixie Premium Harness. Washable, easy to attach, seems very comfortable. 🐶

ImBrian Tue 21-Jun-16 22:00:06

I've ordered a perfect fit harness X so-X so-s in the rainbow webbing grin but I forgot to order the double ended lead!

LilCamper Wed 22-Jun-16 06:54:54

Another Perfect Fit convert here. The rainbow webbing is awesome!

ImBrian Wed 22-Jun-16 07:15:23

It matches my toddlers reins wink. Hopefully it'll be here today, I paid for next day delivery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now