Dead Seal smell

(7 Posts)
Beachbaby1 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:27:53

My pup has managed to get herself and now the house covered with the ever so delightful stench of rotting seal.

I have bathed/shampooed but she still stinks. I will not be able to get to a pet shop till the weekend so wondering if anybody had any successful home remedies I could try before then?

I have tried ketchup on fox poo before but never found it that effective!

Help!

TIA

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 17-Jun-16 15:31:05

Sorry no advice as our current dog thankfully isn't a roller but lots of empathy as I remember only too well sharing the car from Norfolk back to London with our childhood lab who'd decided to roll in a dead seal minutes before we got into the car envy (v definitely NOT envy grin)

fishybits Fri 17-Jun-16 15:42:28

Oh OP, tis truly one of the most revolting smells in the world ever.

We resorted to washing up liquid because that helps remove the fat I was beyond caring about dog's skin and then ketchup and finally my hair shampoo. Outdoors and under the garden hose in fucking February, there was no way ddog was coming inside until she no longer stank.

1frenchfoodie Sat 18-Jun-16 12:48:07

No advice, just empathy. You have made me grateful I only have fox poo to contend with here. Pup loves a good roll but Baby shampoo seems to get 99% of the fox smell out and the base funkiness goes relatively quickly. I'd be interested to hear others' advice.

PropertyWidow Sat 18-Jun-16 12:51:02

What on earth does rotting seal smell like?! I imagine an unholy amalgam of rancid fat and off fish. You have my fullest sympathies OP.
I used to wash the dogs with hibiscrub when I worked at a vets as a teen and that was pretty effective. Good luck!

We found that the only newer was repeated washes. When ddog2 did this, we shampooed her twice, in the garden, with dog shampoo, and then ran out, so her final shower was with Lynx! Teenage-boy-reek was infinitely better than Eau de Seal Mort!

Beachbaby1 Sat 18-Jun-16 14:56:24

I think it actually smells like fox poo but with the added aroma of rotting fish. Not pleasant at all!

She has been covered in ketchup/apple cider vinegar every day before her morning walk then washed off. That seems to have got most of the smell out.

Managed to get to Pets at home today and bought some special deodorising shampoo so fingers crossed that will get the rest out!

Thanks for the empathy...sometimes life is not better by the beach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now