Red sore skin after running through forest

(7 Posts)
DogsMightFly Sun 12-Jun-16 14:28:23

We've had a forest walk this morning. Our dog goes off lead in this forest, so she's in contact with grasses, ferns and so on.

Since we got home, she's scratched at an area just above one of her front legs and whimpered a couple of times when she's been trying to scratch it. Parting her fur, we can see an area of red skin. It's not cut or scratched looking, no spots of blood or bumps. Her skin is usually white and clear.

I imagine she's caught it as she's run past brambles or similar. Has anyone any tips for soothing it? We have a new tub of sudocrem if that would help. Is there anything else we can do, apart from obviously keep our eyes on it and get her to the vet if it worsens?

BigGreenOlives Sun 12-Jun-16 14:30:24

Where do you live? I am out & can't check symptoms but look up Alabama rot

DogsMightFly Sun 12-Jun-16 14:34:46

This was in Delamere Forest, Cheshire. Will look that up now, thanks

DogsMightFly Sun 12-Jun-16 15:57:26

Having looked up Alabama Rot, it doesn't seem typical of it. The skin is more pinky than red; no ulcers or swelling. And it's not below her elbow/knee - it's on the outer side of her upper body, just above her front leg, so it's the sort of area that would get scratched on brambly type stuff if she was running past it. Phew, my heart was in my mouth when I looked that up :-(

So I'll keep a very close eye on the area for any changes, and try to stop her scratching at it in the meantime. If anyone has any ideas for soothing itchy skin I'd be very grateful.

Wyldfyre Sun 12-Jun-16 17:00:54

If in doubt, vet it out.
Only a qualified vet is can (legally) diagnose and suggest treatment for your dog.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 12-Jun-16 17:29:16

Depending on how much pain she appeared to be in I'd rinse thoroughly with cold water, gently dry and apply sudocreme.

If she was in obviously pain I'd get to vets asap.

Do you have giant hogweed in your area, it can cause some nasty burns.

DogsMightFly Mon 13-Jun-16 06:32:26

Thank you. Happily, it has now faded and she has stopped scratching at it. It must have been something like nettle stings I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now