Alternative to Drontal.

(3 Posts)
MarcoPoloCX Tue 07-Jun-16 14:43:03

I'm currently using Advocate and Drontal for my dogs and I have one little s**t who is a nightmare taking the tablets.
I have tried breaking the tablets in half and cover with cheese or ham, or hollow out a piece of sausage. All to no avail.
Tried forcing it down and hold his head up, he just holds it in his mouth and tries to push it out.
Did it the gentle way, got my treats out but he's not interested if he knows I'm going to his mouth.
He never liked his mouth being touched and would ignore treats immediately so trying to get him used to his mouth being touched is a no no.

The tablets are meant to be taken whole. He's getting worse with taking them. So just wondering if there are good effective worming treatment that come in odourless tasteless granule form or in liquid.

TrionicLettuce Tue 07-Jun-16 16:57:38

I've used Panacur liquid in the past with great success. Mix it in with something tasty like pilchards and they don't really notice.

Milbemax do a chewable treat-like tablet for dogs which mine all happily take as well.

elephantcustard Tue 07-Jun-16 21:46:20

Have you tried smothering in butter or peanut butter? I do the two combos you mentioned as mine is a nightmare with snails confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now