Rabies vaccination- unduly worried

(6 Posts)
VocationalGoat Fri 03-Jun-16 08:09:57

We are travelling this summer and our 6 month old puppy is due to get his passport/rabies vaccine next week.
I'm suddenly quite worried about long-term effects of the vaccine on our pup. I worry that such a big guns vaccine might be too much for such a young dog. It's a higher risk vaccine, so naturally, I'm a bit uncomfortable and I'm wondering if at such a young age, we should just leave it and leave him at home with a friend instead of taking him abroad.
Please feel free to swamp me with "You're being ridiculous!" statements. Alternatively, if any dog owners have had issues with the vaccine, I'd like to hear your stories.

Thanks in advance.

BombadierFritz Fri 03-Jun-16 08:18:13

We also worried but i think all dogs in europe have to have it so we are unusual in getting to choose

welshpixie Fri 03-Jun-16 08:22:35

My Ddog was from Germany and the rabies jab is given as a matter of course. No problems and I never heard of any either. On a side note, over there they do not have the kennel cough vaccination.

VocationalGoat Fri 03-Jun-16 11:00:07

Thank you both, very kindly for your information. I suppose I am worried because he is only a pup and I hope there will be no long-term effects.

Costacoffeeplease Fri 03-Jun-16 11:11:26

We live in Portugal and all dogs have to have a rabies jab as part of their dog licence. None of ours have ever had an adverse reaction to it

Where are you travelling to? Are you protecting him from other diseases such as heart worm, leishmaniasis, sandfly?

VocationalGoat Fri 03-Jun-16 11:17:56

We are travelling to France, Fontainebleau south of Paris, so central France.
I will be talking with the vet about other diseases/risks/concerns. We do always check his coat and have our trusty tick remover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now