Alabama rot - talk me down

(14 Posts)
SunnyL Mon 30-May-16 22:11:34

Really really fucking scared right now.

Ddog developed a massive swelling on her nose yesterday after a walk. A first I thought it was a bad bruise that was causing the swelling. However friends said they thought it was an allergic reaction. We gave her a piriton and it did go down somewhat but her tear gland is still swollen.

Today the nose was far less swollen and didn't appear to be causing her any issues so I didn't take her to the vet.

Except DH has just looked up alabama rot on the Internet and seen that the ulcers can also occur on the nose area.

We've had a case of alabama rot near here in the last month. I'm now really worried.

We're taking Ddog to the vet in the morning - do you think we're over reacting? Have you ever seen an allergic reaction in a dog that causes their face to swell up and the skin to burst open?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 30-May-16 22:23:44

Not allergic reaction, but I have pyogranulomatous infections of the nose that look exactly like that.
The most common site for the Alabama lesions are the feet.

Wonderfulworcestershirelady Mon 30-May-16 22:35:52

Adder bite?

2plus1 Mon 30-May-16 22:53:15

My lab became swollen after a walk where her whole face swelled up and her legs too. She couldn't open her eyes and she staggered down the hallway to me. The emergency vets thought an adder bite and she was treated with antihistamines. They had adrenaline on standby as they thought she could go full anaphylaxis. She made it through that ok. Never seen such a swollen face on a dog before. She died recently very suddenly with a cause of possible alabama rot or pyometra. She had no lesions at all but went into acute renal failure. She had been staying at kennels in an area with confirmed cases. It all went down hill within 24 hours with us having to pts. Out of my experiences your dog sounds like they are having an inflammatory response to something on the walk, probably too quick for alabama rot. Definitely take to your vet in the morning.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Mon 30-May-16 22:57:09

My labrador's head swelled up when she was stung by a wasp. I now always have piriton and loxicom at home in case of another sting.

SunnyL Tue 31-May-16 07:07:38

Oh gosh 2plus1 I'm so sorry that's terrible. So sad to lose your dog so suddenly. Is there a risk of transferance to other dogs? We spent the day with our friends dogs on Sunday and I'm worried for them toon now.

I did wonder if it was a bee or wasp at first because of the speed of it swelling up. I've never seen the flesh on a dogs muzzle burst and ooze from a sting though (old dog used to chase wasps and bees and his gums regularly swelled up).

SunnyL Tue 31-May-16 09:15:13

I don't know if she has knocked it in the night or if it's getting worse but her nose looks like raw meat today

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 31-May-16 09:20:27

Gosh that looks painful, poor thing, when is your vet appointment?

2plus1 Tue 31-May-16 11:03:53

As far as I am aware there is no transfer of alabama rot from dog to dog. It is thought to be an environmental trigger but they have not isolated any bacterial or viral cause. It seems to be prevalent in certain areas but no idea why. The US version is a bacterial cause I believe so different to the UK version. I would see a vet today and show the photos too. Alabama rot dogs become ill very quickly as we found out.

SloppyDailyMailJournalism Tue 31-May-16 12:43:05

flowers. I hope she is ok. Terrified of Alabama rot here.

SunnyL Tue 31-May-16 12:53:05

Right so vet says definitely not alabama rot as if she had this level of lesion she'd also be very unwell by now. Apparently it's an infection from an allergic reaction after sticking her nose in something she shouldn't have. Phew!

2plus1 Tue 31-May-16 19:24:21

That's good news! Hopefully your dog will be back to mischief very soon. I hate to think of what they stick their noses in hmm

LimeJellyHead Mon 06-Jun-16 20:01:19

Good news that it isn't Alabama Rot. Has your dog had a tick engorged? Our dog caught a nasty tick disease once and his face swelled up. Took over 6 months to be spotted by a vet (not the swelling, the cause, lol). You might want to get some blood tests done, just in case. Tick diseases can really fester.

SunnyL Tue 07-Jun-16 08:22:22

Thanks for that Lime. She's got a check up at the vets this afternoon so will ask them. Her nose looks pretty good now - just a bit scabby

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now