Why do people refer to zoomies as being 5 mins? My puppy's last 2 hours!

(10 Posts)
CoffeeAddictionUnderway Sun 29-May-16 21:40:37

Just checking that this is 'normal'. My otherwise docile and gentle puppy goes berserk once the clock strikes 7pm and normally continues his antics (which involve careering off walls, doing mad circuits, biting, mouthing, pouncing etc) until about 9pm.

He is only 15 weeks old so we can't over exercise him to get rid of 'excess energy'. We're taking him for a 20 minute walk at 6pm and he gets a good 45 mins too of fetch beforehand in the garden.

Just checking hoping that zoomies do last for two hours for some pups very envious of puppies who only do it for 5 mins

(We are working on the mouthing/biting etc but all training seems to go out the window during these witching hours.)

TrionicLettuce Sun 29-May-16 21:49:16

All my whippet puppies have been like this, they were absolutely monstrous little things!!

One of the things that I've found helps quite well is to pre-empt the zoomies and get them doing something that really gives their brain a workout. So a training session, scent games, anything like that.

I'd do much less of the fetch as well, that could possibly be hyping him up and making the zoomies worse.

CoffeeAddictionUnderway Sun 29-May-16 22:02:40

Thanks Trionic that's a good idea, I'll try that. You get such conflicting advice though, e.g. people saying fetch might tire them out.

ImBrian Mon 30-May-16 00:11:54

My 8 month old still gets the zoomies for hours on end. The only way to stop it is to wear him out. We don't do long walks but if he runs around with other dogs at the beach for ten minutes, has a dig in the sand and then a short walk where there's lots of things to look at he's out for the count for the rest of the night. He's a chihuahua X shihtzu terrier/they lied if that helps.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 30-May-16 06:37:32

When our dog had prolonged zoomies as a puppy we took it as a sign that he was massively overtired. We'd put him in his crate with a Kong and cover it with a blanket - he'd usually be out for the count within a couple of minutes

CoffeeAddictionUnderway Mon 30-May-16 09:00:29

Thanks No.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's over-tiredness as yesterday as an experiment I let him sleep undisturbed for 5 hours straight and he then proceeded to have his longest 'zoom' ever (almost 3 hours).

Bit shock Im if he's still doing this at 8 months grin.

insan1tyscartching Wed 01-Jun-16 21:48:35

Eric is two and a half and still has zoomies, not two hour ones though but five or ten minutes at a time. What prompts Eric's are a particularly nice walk, nice food, getting wet,the wind,any show of excitement in the house so they are predictable at least. I open the back door and sit down as he runs circuits usually with dh's trainer and if you are in the way you get clonked.

pigsDOfly Thu 02-Jun-16 08:44:53

I thought zoomies were slightly different from the general mad rushing of puppies.

My dog is five and still does zoomies when she's feeling extra specially pleased, usually, like Eric, it's after a really good walk/run with her ball, on a windy day.

We get into the house, down goes her bottom to just above the floor and then she'll whiz round the house for a few minutes. Amazingly, she never runs into anything. I love to see it, she looks so happy.

insan1tyscartching Thu 02-Jun-16 10:30:52

Yes pigs I love to watch Eric too it's his sheer joy and it makes me happy too. His always involve scooting through the dining room chairs and launching himself on to a particular comfy chair as part of the circuit, opening the back door so he can include the garden just means his circuits are longer and you are right he runs in a particular way on zoomies as well.

MardAsSnails Thu 02-Jun-16 10:39:28

YoungGirl does this for hours. She's 2.5, but she is a Dalmatian so therefore to be expected. OldGirl calmed down when she got to 10. I can't fucking wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now