loxicom side effects?

(7 Posts)
SeanConnerysChestHair Sat 28-May-16 19:57:03

Ddog has been on loxicom for her joints for the last couple of months. It has made a real difference and she's back to her bouncy self on walks but for the last week she's been having episodes of trembling with racing heart and panting, about 3-4 minutes long. We have taken her to the vets twice but they have said to video any more episodes and that they didn't know what was causing them (maybe seizures, maybe something cardiac). They did blood tests that were fine. We videoed the next two but she's a black dog and you can't easily see anything on the video.
I was wondering if it could be a side-effect of the Loxicom - has anyone had or heard of similar?

tabulahrasa Sat 28-May-16 20:14:27

No, I've never heard of that as a side effect and it's not showing up as one on t'internet either.

The most common side effects are gastric, could the trembling and panting be stomach pain?...

SeanConnerysChestHair Sat 28-May-16 22:08:49

i couldn't find anything but the gastric side effects in dogs (and they seem to be really severe and include bleeding/blood in stools). I did find that the same drug in humans can have a rare side effect of palpitations. Dh isnt convinced. It's just awful waiting and watching for the next 'fit' and trying to work out how to film it so the vet might work out if it's heart, gastric, fits or something else. So I'm clutching at straws.

tabulahrasa Sat 28-May-16 22:18:35

The severe side effects include blood...but it definitely can just be vomiting or loose stools type side effects.

I'm almost and expert on the gastric side effects, lol, that's why I opened the thread to start with, my dog had a perforated ulcer.

TrionicLettuce Sat 28-May-16 22:37:30

I wouldn't rule out it being related to stomach issues, they can show pain in funny ways sometimes.

Earlier this year DDog2 was showing symptoms that seemed to all point towards her having a problem with her back (yelping when she moved, hunching up, wobbly back legs) and no gastric symptoms other than not having much appetite. It actually turned out to be entirely stomach related.

Incidentally she also can't have Loxicom as it makes her sick. She needs medicating for her arthritis now and she's on Onsior instead and doing really well. The late DDog1 had Loxicom for his arthritis for about 18 months then suddenly started having gastric side effects so he was swapped onto Onsior which he stayed on with no problems until he was PTS.

tabulahrasa Sat 28-May-16 22:42:02

The thing is, if you think it might be loxicom related, there's always the option of stopping it and seeing if the symptoms stop too, mine can't have any NSAIDs, but there are quite a few alternatives.

SeanConnerysChestHair Sat 28-May-16 22:45:31

Thanks. We'll go back to the vet after the bank holiday and see if we can swap the loxicom for something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now