Anyone have a dog with a tumour?

(6 Posts)
summerdreams Fri 27-May-16 19:06:57

I wrote a thread a while ago about my dog who I thought had fleas but the other dog was fine well I found a lump on her, that she's allways had but is now around four times the size.

Well fast forward a couple of weeks it took a hole week of diffrent tablets and shampoos to clear up the scratching four visits to the vet, when it was cleared the vet aspirated the lump and sent it off. Today I rang them for the results and it turns out its a something beginning with m tumour I was so taken back I can't even remember the name.

He said that we can either get it removed and find out for sure if its cancer or we can monitor it as she's extremely well I'm going to get back in touch with the vet on tuesday he advised taking the weekend to think.

My questions are many, i'm in shock and dont know what to say has anyone else been through this? I'm terrified of her getting sick if I dont have it removed she's a yorkshire terrier only 6 yo. I also am a single mother with a toddler and not much money, allthough could find it. how much is this operation likely to cost? Thankyou in advance

2plus1 Fri 27-May-16 20:53:22

If it is a mast cell tumour then I would get it removed as they can become very aggressive. It is shocking to hear the word tumour and surgery seems a scary option but dogs do bounce back. Take some time to decide what to do bit not too long.

Wyldfyre Fri 27-May-16 20:57:13

It will likely be cheaper to remove now than to treat if it IS cancer.
My springer had a fatty lump which turned into cancer. By the time we knew about it it had spread and nothing could be done. She was eight

summerdreams Fri 27-May-16 22:01:15

It was m then another word, cannot remember for the life of me he said it's the word for skin cells. I just had a look at her and when he aspirated it, it was flat but now really large again I think it should be removed she gets Ill I'm just shocked at how bad my family's luck with health is I've had 4 ops in to years I'm awaiting my son going in hospital and now my poor little dog! Sorry I'm rambling she only weighs 10lbs when we had her spayed she reacted terribly to the aneasteasia so I'm dreading it.

summerdreams Fri 27-May-16 22:38:31

So sorry about your dog wyldfyre that's awful. If she wouldn't have had the allergic reaction to something I wouldn't have noticed how big the lump had got!

LimeJellyHead Mon 06-Jun-16 20:09:10

I would get it removed. Even the most benign lumps can get out of control and turn cancerous if left. Hopefully it will be harmless, easily removed and away you both go, happy and clear. Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now