Initial vaccinations again at 5 yrs old?

(10 Posts)
DailyMailEthicalFail Wed 11-May-16 15:06:15

I adopted a bitch last year.
Her vaccination history was unclear so vet advised 'starting from scratch'.
Just had a letter from them saying jabs overdue by 3months, so need to 'start from scratch' again. They are quoting £85.00

Vet has, (I have discovered) a reputation locally for extracting as much £ from clients as possible. I've had one experience of this and lost confidence in them.

Do we really need to start from scratch again, does anyone know?

ScrotesOnFire Wed 11-May-16 15:41:06

Do you use boarding kennels?
If so, you'll probably need to re start the course as kennels don't take dogs not up to date on vaccs.
Otherwise though I wouldn't bother.

Wyldfyre Wed 11-May-16 16:31:18

Our vet gives Lepto on an annual basis and all others on a three year cycle.
You could always titre test?

DailyMailEthicalFail Wed 11-May-16 16:37:45

no, don't use kennels.

what is a titre test pls?

Wyldfyre Wed 11-May-16 17:41:16

A test of the antibodies in blood

www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/titer-testing/

Some people choose only to titre test after puppy vaccinations

ItsJustAnotherUsername Wed 11-May-16 17:47:32

3 months overdue is fine for a booster. I wouldn't be starting the full course again. Change vets. As pp said leptospirosis is required annually, hepatitis, distemper and Parvo every 3 years. That is standard these days.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 11-May-16 17:50:44

I'd consider changing vet, tbh. As an aside, check the small print in your insurance, in case there's anything in there about frequency of vaccinations.

DailyMailEthicalFail Wed 11-May-16 22:30:23

Thank you, all.

I must admit, I was a bit narked that there was no reminder at 12m (although it is obviously MY responsibility not the Vets!) but happy to send one at 15m suggesting 'starting from scratch'.

As I say, I feel that this particular Vet is all about the money only so I will 'shop around' I think.

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 11-May-16 23:55:46

Do you have a Vets for pets? We have one locally and I find them very good so far. They do vaccs for life which is around £100 I think

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 12-May-16 07:18:51

Daily I've finally found a vet that I'm happy with on my 3rd try. The others weren't bad but they sound similar to yours, as soon as they saw me with a giant breed £ signs appeared in their eyes.

My vet now is great & i'm so pleased I made the change. Not only does she understand the breed but she doesn't charge the earth/try to push things on me that aren't needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now