Dog with broken paw - tips please

(7 Posts)
traviata Mon 09-May-16 10:52:03

Poor Ddog (spaniel) has broken 2 metacarpals in his front paw, and is hobbling about on a splinted cast feeling sorry for himself, and slipping on the floors. He isn't supposed to run or jump or play at all. We have many weeks of this to come. I fear Ddog will be utterly bored, and the extra attention he is getting won't make up for his usual daily 2+ hours of running off lead.

Any tips please?

The main issues are:
- slipping on our bamboo and wood floors - I've got some socks but he won't let me put them on his cast;
- keeping him mobile but not disrupting the fracture. If he gets excited he forgets about his leg and falls flat on his face;
- ideas for entertainment and mental challenges that don't require him to move.

Wyldfyre Mon 09-May-16 12:37:16

For the slipping try putting a bit of vet wrap on the bottom of the cast.
For mental stimulation use a snuffle mat. Use wet foods like ham and leave to sit for 15 minutes before putting down. The more the scents build up, the harder it becomes for them

randomsabreuse Mon 09-May-16 12:56:15

Re Floors - cheap rugs - Ikea had one for £8 last time I went there. Aldi might still have as well.

Stimulation - teach tricks, food in ball, frozen kongs. Like the snuffle bag suggestion!

Once out of splint something like this

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0053XVOL8/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?qid=1462794335&sr=8-14&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dog+boots+vibram

Ruffwear grip dog boots was what a friend's dog had after a similar injury. Recommended by the surgeon - they're pretty rigid so should help with mad moments when mostly healed...

Good luck!!!!

traviata Tue 10-May-16 13:08:06

Thanks for replies.

He's now in a cone as well, so the snuffle mat will have to wait until that goes. Poor fellow.

almostthirty Tue 10-May-16 13:12:22

When my ddog had to recover from stomach surgery he could barely walk (granted only for a week before he was more mobile) but I led on the floor with him with my laptop while I was working. When I left the room I was surprised ddog hadn't tried to follow me (which he would normally do) bit he was watching the fish screen saver on my laptop! When he finally got bored of watching it I put a film on and he led there and watched it!

DailyMailAreArses Tue 10-May-16 15:19:26

Sometimes I sprinkle tiny bits of tuna on the grass and let them snuffle around for ages.

traviata Wed 11-May-16 19:53:18

great ideas, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now