Shedding Season

(9 Posts)
AppleSetsSail Thu 05-May-16 09:39:55

I have a 9 month old golden retriever puppy - I thought I'd beat the system and found one who does't shed <hollow laugh>.

She started shedding in earnest about 2 weeks ago - how long does this last? Will it go on all summer? Will it ever stop?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 05-May-16 10:09:40

Well it varies from dog to dog.

My girl had her spring moult back in January & will probably have her summer one in August/September time. With her it lasted about 7-8 weeks with the worst hair loss happening from weeks 2-6 (think filling at least a couple of bags for life a day).

Longer haired breeds do tend to have some shed year round. A daily brush over will help with a proper groom 1 or 2 times a week.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 05-May-16 10:11:11

My Labrador sheds constantly with two big sheds a year - that can last a bloody month or so.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 05-May-16 10:12:48

Forgot to mention - all our downstairs floors are wood or stone. I couldn't contemplate carpets with a Labrador - she isn't allowed upstairs.

AppleSetsSail Thu 05-May-16 10:26:53

Dear me.

I hadn't considered taking her to the groomer - would this help?

Greyhorses Thu 05-May-16 10:37:09

I have german shepherds that shed all year but twice a year they really go crazy on the hair front!

I find a good bath and scrub gets lots of it out plus regular brushing with a rake gets lots of it out too. I still usually end up hoovering at least once a day though!

AppleSetsSail Thu 05-May-16 10:47:06

I just bought the Furminator. Anyone try this?

LilCamper Thu 05-May-16 11:45:45

Furminators are not good for GRs coats. They rip the guard hairs. Use an undercoat rake or stick a pair of marigolds on and stroke her all over. Will pull the loose undercoat out smile

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Thu 05-May-16 20:19:17

Oh I groom mine myself, as it means I can trim the bits I want trimmed & to length I want it them although I still can't bring myself to get rid of her 'hippy' ears. Never mind the fact that when groomers see a giant breed dog £ signs tend to appear in their eyes...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now