NDN rude to his dog, WTF?

(9 Posts)
brodchengretchen Tue 03-May-16 13:53:04

Just that really. The young dog comes from a rescue organisation, but private NDN is sort of insulting and sarcastic in tone and only speaks to the pup (its seems) to tell it to shut up. I can't get my head around this - why would someone want a dog only to talk down to it? Or AIBU?

brodchengretchen Tue 03-May-16 13:53:24

privately

pigsDOfly Tue 03-May-16 16:02:06

Unfortunately there does seem to be a lot of people who get animal only to treat them badly or just seem to want to just shout at them.

I used to go to a park with my dog and there was a man there with a lovely staffie who wore a Dogs Trust harness. The man would yell at the dog non stop and seemed not to like it very much.

I used to wonder why he got the poor thing in the first place as he clearly hated it so much he felt the need to make its life miserable all the time. Really used to upset me.

I also wondered how well he'd been vetted and what the dogs trust would think if they knew he treated his dog that way.

There's a lot of nasty people out there.

Meandyouandyouandme Tue 03-May-16 16:42:54

I see this elderly woman every morning for the last few months walking her dog. We always say hello, she has a lovely black lab, and I always used to think it was nice that she had this companionship.

Last Thursday I was walking into the fields where I walk, and I could see her in the distance hitting the dog with its lead! I don't know what the dog had done, but I am ashamed to say I didn't say anything to her. Maybe the dog had bitten her?! I now avoid her, walk the other way so I don't have to walk past her as I thought it was really bad. The dog just trotted happily after her just after being hit with the lead sad it's never looked remotely badly behaved to me, I don't understand it either.

Collaborate Thu 05-May-16 06:47:30

I've gone ballistic at my dog on a number of occasions when out walking. Usually just as she's eating faeces.

Not hit her, but a real telling off. I don't think it's anyone else's business.

SistersOfPercy Fri 06-May-16 16:09:16

Someone told a friends DH off the other week for saying 'Come on you lazy sod' to their dog. It's the most spoiled little dog in the world! The woman said he shouldn't be so rude to his dog shock

One of DDogs many nicknames is Pig, so when out I'll often forget and say 'come on pig dog' or 'come on pig bag'. Never realised until friend told me that tale that people could think something of it.
It is possible to 'insult' a pet lovingly and not mean it in a hurtful way.

brodchengretchen Fri 06-May-16 16:52:20

It is possible to 'insult' a pet lovingly and not mean it in a hurtful way.

You're right, for sure. But NDN says things like 'What's your fxxxing problem, mutt?'
'Get out of it, waste of space', and 'You don't like that now do you?' confused

Vardyparty Fri 06-May-16 16:55:43

I'm sure the dog doesn't know his owner is being rude. What a ridiculous thing to say .

Icequeen01 Sat 07-May-16 10:07:57

I agree dogs don't understand when people say rude /nasty things to them but surely it's the tone they can pick up on? One of the posters said she sometimes called her dog Pig but I'm sure that is said in an affectionate way. The tone when used to tell a dog it's a f**ing waste of time would, I assume, be said in an aggressive way and surely a dog would pick up on that and it could make it fearful. I think it's terribly sad when I hear people talking to animals as though they hate them but I guess I could be a bit soft!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now