I think my dog is dying

(47 Posts)
CalibratedNellyphant Thu 28-Apr-16 20:19:45

I don't know where to start or what to do.
My poor boy is in the vets and they are trying to stabilise him but it's not looking good.
He is only 6 but he developed epilepsy a couple of years ago. He had been doing ok but last night he had two long fits and I thought I would have to take him to the vets. He settled down for a few hours but then this morning after I dropped the DCs at school he started fitting and wouldn't stop so I had to take him to the vets.

I am so so worried about him the vet said they would do everything they could but he was very sick and it doesn't look good.

I have told the DCs he is sick and might not make it and the eldest two are so upset. The youngest doesn't really understand but he has grown up with the dog and he will be devastated if he dies.

DH is working away and the DCs are in bed so it's just me here and I can't stop crying. I'm just used to sitting here with him on my lap. DH works away a lot so the dog is my company most nights.

I'm not even sure why I'm posting I'm just so sad and lonely right now and I just want him to be ok even though I know how unlikely it is.

lapsedorienteerer Thu 28-Apr-16 20:23:26

So difficult, you have my thoughts and sympathy sad

CalibratedNellyphant Thu 28-Apr-16 20:29:04

Thank you

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 28-Apr-16 20:30:43

How awful, they are such a huge part of our lives aren't they?

BastardGoDarkly Thu 28-Apr-16 20:30:44

Oh calibrated, I'm so sorry, don't give up though, he hasn't yet flowers

BuffaloCustardbath Thu 28-Apr-16 20:31:26

Oh calibrate this is so sad, I'm sorry you're going through this by yourself. I really hope he stabilises and pulls through. I'm here with a hand hold and a hug, you're not alone.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Thu 28-Apr-16 20:32:30

What sort of dog is he? I will be thinking of you tonight flowers

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 28-Apr-16 20:34:33

I'm so sorry Calibrated. It's heartbreaking. We were in a similar situation last October, when our 6 year old lab collapsed out of the blue. Turned out he was riddled with cancer. We had a few more months with him after his diagnosis though. It seems to much harder when they're young. I'm so hoping you get some more time with him.

Do you know when you are likely to hear from the vet?

HookedOnHooking Thu 28-Apr-16 20:36:37

So sorry. I do hope he pulls through. brew

Floralnomad Thu 28-Apr-16 20:43:12

We will keep our fingers and paws crossed for him here .

CalibratedNellyphant Thu 28-Apr-16 20:49:59

He is a staffie.
I just want him to be ok

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 28-Apr-16 21:30:32

So sorry you're going through this. I hope he pulls through. Thinking of you.

ChairRider4 Thu 28-Apr-16 22:06:10

So sorry

mostlyexhausted Thu 28-Apr-16 22:29:39

Poor little chap. Such bad luck for you all. Hope he pulls through but if he gets any worse you should prepare your dc. They might surprise you. I had to prepare mine a few months ago for our dog who we've had longer than either of them. They kept asking about her illness, very curious, a bit sad, but not as distressed as I thought they might be.

Fingers crossed he gets through it.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Thu 28-Apr-16 22:30:56

Hope he pulls through.
He's young, he's in good hands. Good luck!

Floralnomad Fri 29-Apr-16 17:27:05

Any news OP ?

BastardGoDarkly Fri 29-Apr-16 19:38:01

How is he calibrated?

DailyMailAreArses Fri 29-Apr-16 19:48:23

flowers. good luck with him, so sad.

CalibratedNellyphant Fri 29-Apr-16 20:40:09

They stabilised him during the night but he had a turn again this morning and I had to have him put to sleep this afternoon.
I haven't told the DCs yet as they are staying at a friends house as I was supposed to be studying but I can't focus.
I called DH but he didn't answer and he hasn't called me back yet so he doesn't know either.
My poor boy I am gutted its just not fair.

BastardGoDarkly Fri 29-Apr-16 20:41:15

Oh love, I'm sorry flowers

Fishcake72 Fri 29-Apr-16 20:41:48

Oh no, you must be heartbroken. Am so sorry for you. It is never easy losing a fur baby xxx

DailyMailAreArses Fri 29-Apr-16 20:41:56

Oh I'm so, so sorry xx

Floralnomad Fri 29-Apr-16 20:49:21

Sorry for your loss.

CalibratedNellyphant Fri 29-Apr-16 20:50:38

He was such a lovely dog. He loved everyone he met and he adored the DCs .
We used to take him for a walk in the park at night (when no-one else was there) and he would go on the roundabout with the kids.
I miss him so much, he should be lying by the radiator snoring.

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 29-Apr-16 20:50:58

Oh Calibrated I'm so, deeply sorry. Forget the studying. Be kind to yourself.flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now