does anyone cycle with their dog?

(14 Posts)
KittyBeans72 Mon 25-Apr-16 14:07:38

i wouldn't do it on the road but there are some cycle trails near me (off road and in parks) where I could do it. I used to cycle everywhere but now I have a dog it's all walk walk walk and I miss being on two wheels.

anyone here do it or knows someone who does it and might have some advice? thank you!

Rhootintootinboo Mon 25-Apr-16 17:16:45

I've no advice but keen to see if others have tips as this is something I'd like to train my pooch to do too. I have seen dogs attached to the bike with a purpose built device that keeps the dog by your side but stops it running in front of the tyres.

CMOTDibbler Mon 25-Apr-16 17:35:34

We do it on off road trails. DDog1 loves it, and theres plenty of room for him to bounce along in front. He can run very fast and very far, but with a smaller/slower breed you'd have to watch that they didn't do too much

Merrylegs Mon 25-Apr-16 17:42:29

I have thought about it but I think it depends on the dog.

Mine is a bit of a moocher. He likes to snuffle along, sniffing his pee-mails, chewing the odd blade of juicy grass, taking in the terrain.

I think if he was at a run beside me the whole time it would certainly tire him out but I don't know how enjoyable it would be for him, iyswim?

Moving15 Mon 25-Apr-16 17:43:21

We do. I am nursing a very sore thumb at the moment from a recent crash due to my dog taking off while we were cycling! First time we have had an accident. Great way to exercise large mature dogs.

KittyBeans72 Mon 25-Apr-16 19:15:50

Mine is 2 and big. He's good if we run with him - he's more focused when he's running than when he's walking so I thought it might be good for him. Rhootintootinboo - i think you mean something like this: www.innerwolf.co.uk/walkydog.html

I'll let you know how I get on...

Ticktacktock Mon 25-Apr-16 22:21:12

I have 2 devices for the bike. A walking lead for him that clips to the bike. I either walk with it to the riverside or cycle slowly so he can trot. He loves to race me when we get to the river.

The second is a dog trailer that I pull for longer journeys. I open up the back and when we get going off road he jumps in and out when I slow or stop.

Both things are rare where I live, and we always draw attention which I do find embarrassing, especially when they take photos.

KittyBeans72 Tue 26-Apr-16 11:22:49

ha ha ha! that made me laugh out loud. you must feel like Madonna.

AlpacaLypse Tue 26-Apr-16 11:37:02

I've seen people doing this, and I've also visited my sister in hospital with a broken leg after her dalmatian pulled her off her bike with a sudden bolt!

TrionicLettuce Tue 26-Apr-16 11:51:23

Have a google for "bikejoring" Kitty. It's becoming more and more popular in the UK, there are even regular competitions held for bikejoring/scootering/canicross.

K9 Trail Time do a lot of equipment for various different dog sports, including bikejoring.

KittyBeans72 Tue 26-Apr-16 11:58:39

Thanks Lettuce. bikejoring is the weirdest compound word I have ever come across...

Ticktacktock Tue 26-Apr-16 14:38:22

Bikejoring is for big dogs to pull you along isn't it? Mine is a terrier, lol.

My boy loves his Trixie Dog Bicycle Trailer. If i could do a fancy link I would, but you'll have to Google it!

puffylovett Wed 27-Apr-16 21:51:16

We mountain bike a lot, and often see dogs at trail centres with their owners. They do tend to be the bouncier breeds like springers though, and I know it's good to be cautious about the length of trail, due to what it can do to their pads. They need to have extremely good recall though!

puffylovett Wed 27-Apr-16 21:51:50

Should add that they are never attached to the bikes, too dangerous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now