Lost dog Kingston - have I done everything I can?

(131 Posts)
iloverhubarbcrumble Wed 20-Apr-16 13:52:00

Much loved springer spaniel escaped from house unnoticed, as H put out bins 11.30ish, last night. We found her missing this morning. Leaving recriminations aside here. We live in very busy area near Norbiton station in Kingston and I am losing hope, as she is fast and could be anywhere (and I suppose could have been picked up by someone not inclined to help). She was not wearing her collar as she was in bed for the night, she is chipped.

So
- I have told all local vets
- battersea
- microchip company
- local police and dog warden
- logged on LostDog website, they have put on facebook
- made posters, local shops and lampposts, with reward offered
-about to go for walk in Richmond Park, our usual haunt (2 miles from house tho) and will accost all dog walkers
- her regular dog walker has tweeted and put on another facebook page

There's nothing else we can do now is there <going off to weep quietly>? Advice very gratefully appreciated.
Thanks

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 20-Apr-16 13:56:46

Think you have done what you can. It's early days, plenty of time for her to turn up.

Will keep an eye out as not too far from you.

Fingers crossed.

FB is great for this kind of thing. There was a little dog in Surbiton that went missing before Christmas, which was found after about a week safe and well (albeit cold and hungry).

Hope she's found soon.

TrionicLettuce Wed 20-Apr-16 14:13:03

Check Facebook for any local groups (buying/selling or just general neighbourhood stuff) and post on there.

Are there any dog rescues near you? If so it's worth posting on their pages as well, they may have volunteers who would be able to help out looking.

Floralnomad Wed 20-Apr-16 14:26:17

Horrible thought but as you live near the station it may be worth contacting them just in case she has been knocked over on the tracks ( hope not ) .

AnUtterIdiot Wed 20-Apr-16 15:10:08

You've done everything you can, I think. I suppose you could notify springer rescues? Also, check any parks or reserves etc that you walk in, even if you usually go by car - growing up one of our dogs managed to get out of the house and was discovered the next morning in a nature reserve we only ever went to by car that would have involved him walking for two or three miles!

Do leave the recriminations aside, by the way. So hard when you've lost a dog, I remember being in bits when the dog mentioned above wasn't found before nightfall. But anyone can accidentally let a dog out, however vigilant they usually are.

flowers everything crossed for you

MitchellMummy Wed 20-Apr-16 15:48:03

Aww, so sorry for you. Make HUNDREDS of little flyers, all with your details on. Several flyers per A4 sheet. Give them out to EVERYONE you see. Posters are great, but if people have their details in their pocket/bag they will phone if they've seen/do see the dog. Put flyers through letterboxes (working out from your home in a hub and spoke system). Have you put posters in the vets? Better than telling them verbally as you'll get other clients reading the poster and looking out. GOOD LUCK!

pigsDOfly Wed 20-Apr-16 16:08:53

So sorry to hear this, can't imagine how you must be feeling.

The little flyers is a very good idea as people driving in the area won't see the signs on lamp posts and trees. Would try to do this in the areas you walk her as well as where you live.

Can you put poster up at the entrance to parks you usually walk in, not sure if Richmond Park would allow that.

Also would look on all the dog selling sites such as gumtree.

Good luck.

BagelGoesWalking Wed 20-Apr-16 16:59:51

you could join this fb group. It's Surrey Pets for Sale and Items, then you could post as I'm sure some people in the group will see and share.

Maplessglobe Wed 20-Apr-16 17:01:47

Sorry you are in this situation. I don't have any experience but your local street life website might also help.

Greypuddle Wed 20-Apr-16 17:04:08

I'll retweet if you tell us your dogwalker's Twitter name so we can find her post.

notagiraffe Wed 20-Apr-16 17:05:23

I really hope you find her. Our cat was missing for several days but found eventually. he'd got locked inside someone's shed just outside the area where I put up posters, so spread your posters wide. Also, put up posters in the hospital as it's nearby and people who work/visit there will look in a wide area.

Greypuddle Wed 20-Apr-16 17:05:42

And get her to ask celebrities if they'd retweet. For example, Sheridan Smith is a dog lover and has a lot of followers.

notagiraffe Wed 20-Apr-16 17:06:29

Posters at bus stops are good as people have time to read them. And do tear off stubs with your mobile number on them.

KindDogsTail Wed 20-Apr-16 17:14:20

I am so sorry.
Forgive me if this seems too horrible to think of but the only thing I can suggest that you have not done so far is look in Gum tree Pets4Homes (anything else?) in case someone tries to sell her. You sometimes see those advertisements such as through no fault of my dog I need her to go to a good home £250. Pigs said this too I just saw.

Also, if no one else has said this rescue places and vets even further away in case she has travelled quite a distance - a spaniel could I think.

There but for the grace of God......no recriminations. Good luck.

Neffi Wed 20-Apr-16 17:17:42

Kingston neighbourhood FB group. Surbiton neighbourhood FB group.

Ginandtonicoclock Wed 20-Apr-16 17:19:13

It's hard to hear, but no recriminations is exactly right. My black dogs have got out on 3 occasions, each time at night. Once I found them, once they were found running towards Kingston one way system, once brought back the following day by dog warden having got trapped 5 doors down chasing cars. The dogs have mugshots with the local warden.

I live near you. I walk my dogs for one hour (am and pm) at various locations in the area. I will keep an eye out as my dogs can sniff out any other living breathing thing in a 100m radius. Did I miss a mention of the dogs name? Will take treats and spare lead

iloverhubarbcrumble Wed 20-Apr-16 17:48:57

This is so kind, and a relief to talk about it actually, thanks for all the suggestions. We've just got back from all the local vets. Need a break now, watching First Dates with DD, abit of light relief.

Very good idea to look at gumtree, I'll do that first. Aaagh. The hospital for lots of people a great idea. Special thanks to g&t with your extra lead and collar. I haven't mentioned her name as that seems a bad idea - can't get much worse though!

God this is so distressing. All the times I have moaned about her taking over my life.

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 20-Apr-16 17:55:55

My heart goes out to you.

Have you put a poster in your car window and asked neighbours and friends to do that too?

slicedfinger Wed 20-Apr-16 17:59:06

It is the wrong side of the river but Twickerati FB page often share posts about dogs lost in Bushy Park. Is there something similar for Norbiton/Coombe/Richmond park?

notagiraffe Wed 20-Apr-16 18:48:08

It's possible she got on a train. Dogs do sometimes. Worth calling SW trains/London Transport to ask.

iloverhubarbcrumble Wed 20-Apr-16 20:47:38

Oh god, please don't tell me she got on a train! This has made me smile abit

TheCricketWidow Wed 20-Apr-16 22:26:26

Ive got nothing to add, just wanted to say that im sorry this has happened and that i hope she is home soon. I dont know what i'd do if our dog was missing, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

MeMySonAndl Wed 20-Apr-16 22:31:31

My Yorkie got on an ambulance so stranger things could happen.

MeMySonAndl Wed 20-Apr-16 22:32:32

Another idea is to put adds near local schools, Children are great at keeping an eye on these things.

notagiraffe Thu 21-Apr-16 07:46:06

OP, I once got a call from an electrician who'd done some work in our house. One of our kittens had got into his van. He said he stopped to investigate a weird squeaking and it was just as well, as he was about to go to Leeds for the weekend to visit friends. And all supermarket deliverymen tell me they have a note to check their van before they leave our house as our cat likes to inspect the fridges! If he's got on a train, it doesn't mean he's less safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now