best food for a puppy?

(12 Posts)
DixieNormas Tue 19-Apr-16 19:25:08

He's on royal canine shih tzu food at the moment, preferably something we can buy at pets at home as we have a big one five minutes walk from us

Notthecarwashagain Tue 19-Apr-16 19:33:42

My golden retreiver puppy is on Applaws big breed puppy food.
I've tried him on a few, and finally found one that doesn't make him fart all day!

Notthecarwashagain Tue 19-Apr-16 19:35:29

Oh just realised its online only from pets at home.
I get mine delivered from Fetch.

Bambooshoots14 Tue 19-Apr-16 19:37:18

We're giving ours raw diet because it creates smaller less smelly poos, once he's toilet trained we might reasses as we don't really have the freezer space

Princesspeach1980 Tue 19-Apr-16 20:20:09

Aatu is really good, it's not specifically a puppy food but I emailed them and they said it's suitable to any age. It's £15 a bag in pets at home and has a really high meat content. My chi X has been on it since he was about 4 months and loves it.

georgedawes Tue 19-Apr-16 20:52:31

We use applaws small and medium and our dog does really well on it. Petsathome sell it online for in store delivery I think.

TheDogsCat Tue 19-Apr-16 22:40:04

I feed my dog James WellBeloved. He's now 7, and is frequently mistaken for a dog half his age. I usually get it from Pets at Home. It's expensive, but there's often a £10 off offering or buy two and get a discount. The junior version is suitable up to 18 months, although I feed it to my adult who needs a higher energy diet due to lifestyle, so it's safe enough to buy the big 15kg bags, which are considerably cheaper in the long run.

Since switching food many, many years ago I've had no smelly farts from my dog and the only smelly or runny poops are if he's managed to steal something. Normally it goes in one end and comes out the other in small, non-smelly lumps that are easy to pick up. Plus I get frequent comments on his coat, which is no small feat considering his allergies! When we switched to it he was still a puppy, and the difference was startling. Within days I had a calmer dog, even though he actually had more stamina. His coat also changed colour which was when his allergies were diagnosed. befife when he was on Royal canin there was a pink tinge to his coat, from excessive licking and chewing at his paws 😯

WhoaCadburys Tue 19-Apr-16 22:50:16

James Wellbeloved here too. Used Canogen puppy for our other pup.

Rubydoobiesmum Sat 23-Apr-16 11:37:47

What I'd recommend depends on your budget. Many people say they can only afford Bakers/Pedigree, in which case I recommend Skinners Field and Trial as its about the same price but much better quality.
As you are feeding Royal Canin, which is more expensive but lower quality than skinners, then there's a bit more scope for what you choose.
I suggest looking at allaboutdogfood.co.uk. Look for a food with a named meat source and avoid those with maize or wheat as these are used as fillers and don't agree with many dogs. Also as a rule, the higher the quality, the less you have to feed - do an expensive high quality one will last longer than a low quality one (whether it's a cheap one or expensive one)

northernshepherdess Mon 25-Apr-16 15:53:43

K9 optimum grain free from jollyes is my personal favorite.
There's a website called all about dog food which gives you a much better idea of what the food you are using is all about, including colourings and carcinogens.
Well worth Look

Madbengalmum Mon 25-Apr-16 16:00:13

Orijen dog food is rated as the best on the dog food websites. I have a very sensitive soul and can confirm it is the only food to agree wth her. They do a puppy formula too. It is pricey but it is just meat,fish and fruit and veg, no filler at all. Most others, which my dog has tried on the market contain less meat/fish as a percentage.

MissBeaHaving Mon 25-Apr-16 16:13:04

Mine have Millies Wolfheart turkey & veg & raw at other times.
I'd also recommend all about dog food,it's so informative & makes it lot easier to decide with all the unbiased information on all the foods in front of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now